Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubborn Brisket

I've had a 14 lb Angus brisket on since last night around 9:30, so close to 18 hours total cooking time. I've been using kettle/SnS with a Party Q. Temps have been rock steady at 225 F the entire time. Around four hours ago the brisket was temping at 180 F so I wrapped it in butcher paper. Now it's at 183 F.

Physics tells us there will only be one stall given constant temperature. My brisket was past the stall, so we should have been done with stuck temps.

I think the butcher paper changed the release of humidity from the meat enough that it caused a second stall even though temps were the same.

So after 18 hours I have a pretty tender brisket even though temps are in low 180s everywhere I check it. Maybe even a few high 170s.

About 10 minutes ago I double wrapped the brisket in foil, threw it back in the pit, and cranked the heat up to 280 F. I figure it's tender so it's probably done enough but I want to get some more heat in it so it carries better in the faux cambro.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Did you start fat cap up and flip at any point?

If so, did you document the internal temp change after flipping?

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Help me here Jerod. You guys have forgotten more about BBQ than I will ever know, but the fat cap issue is confusing to me. From my reading, why would you flip-flop fat cap? From what I have understood, isn't the fat cap just insulation that should be used towards the heat source?

I started fat cap up but did not flip. The temps are in low 180s top to bottom though so not sure flipping would have done much.

That said, it was in the butcher paper for 4 hours. That should help with even cooking and would also braise the bottom half of the meat a bit.

Comment

Back in the summer I had the the same problem wrapping with the pink butcher paper. I finally wrap it in foil over the butcher paper and it turn out to be a dang good brisket.

Comment

Butcher paper over foil? Not knocking - just something new to me. Never knew.

Comment

• Bob Benhardt
          Bob Benhardt commented
          Editing a comment
          DWCowles Really? Crazy. First of all, thanks for replying. Secondly, are we just talking wrapping up meat with pink paper and sticking it back on the smoker? Does this work better than foil? How high a temp can the pink paper withstand? Could one use parchment paper with the same results?

• TexasMike
          TexasMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob Benhardt That's exactly it - wrap 'er in the pink butcher paper and put it back on the smoker. Hit YouTube and look for Aaron Franklin's brisket wrap test, it's pretty interesting stuff.

• Bob Benhardt
          Bob Benhardt commented
          Editing a comment
          TexasMike thanks so much! Here is the first (of many to come) that I watched! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw

I had the same type of temperature reaction when using butcher paper, I kept going, time went over 16 hours and the temperature never got to 195 and the brisket on the flat end was dry. It was a Select from Smart & Final that I was experimenting with but did not get great results.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          Back in the summer I had the the same problem wrapping with the pink butcher paper. I finally wrap it in foil over the butcher paper and it turn out to be a dang good brisket.
          Same as I've done. Wish me luck!

Comment

Ok, I'll ask....pictures please, and looking forward to hearing it turned out tender and moist!

Comment

The last time I used paper it was slow too, almost as if it were nekkid. I also didn't care much for the crispy bark. I'll use it again to see if that's just how paper is consistently but I think I prefer the foil-after-stall method myself.

Comment

Well David Parrish how did it turn out?

Comment

Almost no smoke ring, which was a bummer. Aside from that I'm really happy with the result and I only cut into the thinnest part of the flat! Tender, juicy, and it easily pulls apart in the hand. I vacuum sealed 80% of it including the point as it was just me eating dinner. On my PC now will post pics from my phone shortly.

Comment

Pics! Aside from lack of smoke ring I'm really happy when the this one. I did trim the fat cap a lot less than usual. That probably played into it. Those sliced pieces were really good and they were the end of the flat. I'm guessing it can only go up from there!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0556.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.11 MB ID:	239965

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0560.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.76 MB ID:	239966

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0565.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.99 MB ID:	239963

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0567.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.85 MB ID:	239962

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0570.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.69 MB ID:	239964

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0571.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.11 MB ID:	239961

Comment

I wonder what cause it not to have a smoke ring? I had one that done that last year.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                        I wonder what cause it not to have a smoke ring? I had one that done that last year.
                        It wasn't for lack of smoke early in the cook. I used three good sized chunks of hickory and had thin white/blue smoke for hours. I did leave it on the counter for a while before cooking it, but temps were still high 30s or low 40s when cook started. I slathered with EVOO and BBBR before the cook. Fat cap was pretty thick so that could have been a contributor. That's my best guess.

Flavor was great to include smoke flavor. Meat was tender, juicy, and I cut it with my fork. Knife wasn't even close to needed. I call it a smokeless ring winner!

Comment

Beautiful bark. I'm jealous right now. We're having pizza tonight from a place that just changed hands. Oh boy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here