Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great brisket with a fresh new side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great brisket with a fresh new side

Howdy!

I cooked a brisket (choice grade, from Creekstone Farms, weight approx 14 lbs) yesterday. I did it real simple, with just salt and pepper. I applied both salt and pepper the day before. It was real cold yesterday so it took a while to fire up the kettle. I started at 8am on Saturday, and at 9am it was ready, so I put the brisket on together with some apple wood chunks.

Outside temp was -2 °C (28 °F), so I had to refill briquettes not only once, but twice(!). But, the Slow 'N Sear delivered, as usual. I really like that little device. The built-in water reservoir is so convenient (and needed). I held it steady at 115 °C (240 °F) for 6.5 hours, then bumped it up to 150 °C (300 °F) for the last 1.5 hours. Total cook time was 8 hours. I pulled it when the inner temp was 90 °C (194 °F), which in my book was just a bit early, but it felt probe tender, so I wrapped it.

Note: I didn't do any spraying, basting or wrapping (Texas Crutch). I simply put the brisket on the grate, and only opened the lid twice, once to refill water and briquettes, and the second time for more briquettes.

The bark was out of this world, almost sticky, with amazing flavor. The brisket passed the pull test, and I've come to appreciate both the fatty (point) slices as well as the leaner (flat) slices.

Lessons learned:
    1. Buy good meat quality to begin with, it helps tremendously.
    2. Should I have wrapped (Texas Crutch)? I may do that next time, just to get the flat part even more moist, but this is nit-picking. Not sure it was actually needed.
    3. I felt really confident all the way through the cook, being able to tweak, test and probe and knowing how to correct things if it went one way or the other. What a great feeling!

The side(s)
    I made two sides. One classic coleslaw (nothing new under the sun, but I really like it). To match the (somewhat) greasy brisket I figured I need something fresh, definitely low carb, so I made a new side order yesterday. Here's what you need:

Serves: 4
    1 zucchini
    8 mushrooms
    1 lemon (zest + juice)
    salt

Dice the zucchini and mushrooms. Heat up a frying pan so it's real hot. Add the zucchini and mushrooms to the pan, sprinkle just a dash of oil (use very little), and give it some color for 30-50 seconds max. Remove the pan from the hob and pour all the lemon juice and zest into the pan. Stir a little, and add salt to taste.

What's good about this side? Well, the lemony flavor adds real freshness, and it complements brisket perfectly. Will definitely do this many more times.

Brisket with rub

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	869.8 KB ID:	237275

Brisket just placed on the grate. It's a big sucker

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	840.5 KB ID:	237276

About 4 hours in

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	237278

Here's a real nice wine we found. Kinda funny name, but it was good

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket5.JPG Views:	1 Size:	557.6 KB ID:	237274

Check out the bark

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket6.JPG Views:	1 Size:	969.5 KB ID:	237279

Sliced and ready to eat. Ain't that a beauty?

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket7.JPG Views:	1 Size:	741.3 KB ID:	237280

Here's my plate (sorry for a bad shot), but you can see the zucchini side to the right

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket8.JPG Views:	1 Size:	623.0 KB ID:	237281
    Attached Files

Looks so tasty!!!! I could use some of that for breakfast!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Man that looks delicious and I'm sure it tastes that way as well!

I often grill some zucchini, squash, and/or onions when I cooking something else. Usually just hit them with a little EVO and SPG. I may have to try the lemon zest and juice angle. The wife loves mushrooms but I don't so I may have to throw some on the side for her.

Comment

That's a great looking hunk o' meat, and it looks very moist too. That's one successful meal all the way around.

Comment

Great-looking cook, Henrik ! I had not thought to add a lemon-infused side to brisket but it sure makes sense to balance out the unctuous flavor of the meat. Thanks for the idea.

On my last brisket cook on my WSCGC, I also took the brisket to 203ish without the Texas Crutch. It was delicious and the bark was TDF. From now on, I'll only use the crutch if the stall is super long, I'm thinking.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I was referring to the Weber kettle. Tried to figure out what WSCGC means, but there are too many acronyms flying around in my head, so I don't have a clue :-)

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for the ACNM, Henrik. Just kidding about ACNM. I made up ACNM=acronym.
              WSCGC is the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, a blend between a kamado and a kettle. I use the kamado features for smoking.
              Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; November 7, 2016, 08:12 AM.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, that make perfect sense, thanks!

Three thumbs up!

Comment

Looks fabulous!

Comment

Thank you all, I have thought a bit more on the side, think I can improve it even further by adding some grated red beets for color, and possibly some roasted pumpkin seeds for texture. Will experiment and then post a recipe.

Comment

So, 12 hours of thinking, and I nailed it. Here it is, added pomegranate seeds and roasted pumpkin seeds for texture. This is a great salad for both brisket and pulled pork. Read the recipe in full.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket_side.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	237717

Comment

That brisket looks terrific! What's your take on the flavor of the salt and pepper only vs. some of the other rubs? How long was it wrapped before serving?

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Well, I'm currently in a salt+pepper 'phase' for beef, I really like the simplicity, it let's the meat flavor play first fiddle. But I use other spices also, depending on the mood or where I want to take the dish.

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh, and I let it rest in my faux cambro for 1.5 hours.

• Bob's BBQ
                      Bob's BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I'll be stealing a few of these tips for my next cook.

Henrik, You've Done Good My Friend! 👍👍👍👍👍
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Mighty fine looking cook. Not only has Amazing Ribs made good cooks out of all of us - many of us have become better photographers, as well. I'm not quite in the league of some of you with photos. Henrick and Huskee - you both have turned out a couple of photos lately that absolutely knock my socks off. If either of you get jobs for food mags, please don't leave The Pit!

Comment

Great looking brisket (and your new side is worth a go for me as I love veggies and mushrooms together). Costco is running prime full packers for $2.38 per lb. right now. Hmmmm.

Comment

Did you add any more wood when you added more briquettes?

Comment

• Henrik
                            Henrik commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nope, I figure once the meat is past 60 °C (140 °F) innter temperature it doesn't absorb smoke that well, so I didn't add any more.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here