Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight's SnS Ribeye experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's SnS Ribeye experiment

Got two Ribeyes, each about 1-1/4 inch thick, the wife's is on the left brining in Montreal Seasoning, mine is on the right coated with Kosher salt and ground black pepper. I might have gone a bit overboard on the pepper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161105_164623.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	237113

Next is a half chimney of fuel, about 1/4 full of charcoal and 1/4 full of mesquite chunks.

Looks like I'm going to have to do rib eyes tonight. I had a choice between chicken breasts tonight or rib eye. You just made the choice simple.

Comment

Here's the chimney about to be lit, the wood covers the charcoal.

Name:	IMG_20161105_163751.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	237117

The plan is to get it blazing, throw it in the SnS and try to still do a low and slow through damper control. I'll post pictures as it progresses because yeah, I know, without pictures it didn't happen. Damn I hate that rule!

Comment

This could be a fail of epic proportions. The charcoal on the bottom is just starting to smolder but the wood is blazing. Time to dump it in the SnS and see what happens. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161105_173341_burst_01.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	237123

Comment

• ribeyeguy
          ribeyeguy commented
          Editing a comment
          By the way, the red thing on the right side of the picture is the dogs rubber bowling pin, his favorite toy. Any outdoor cook involves about a thousand toss and fetches of his pin.

No such thing as a fail when ribeye is involved ... unless the words "well done" apply.

Comment

This just might work out after all. The dome temperature is reading about a million degrees but the grate is at 235. God bless the SnS!

Comment

Pepper amount looks good to me!

Comment

ribeyeguy do not question yourself. You are the ribeye guy!

Comment

I bet they turn out great.

Comment

I'm doing a similar wood cook. Blackened chicken thighs!

Name:	IMG_0442.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	237145

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	237146

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	237147

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	237144

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	237148

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OMG these were amazing. Crispy on the outside, tender like a marshmallow on the inside, and juicy like watermelon. Missus was at a loss for words. #thatneverhappens

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry David Parrish I will just have to take your word on it

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    David Parrish Is the SNS in the center of your kettle for the sear. Than moved the chicken to one side and the SNS to the other after searing was done to finish the cook??

BTW what grate are you using? Please don't tell me that's another one of your future products that we will all have to buy.

End result:

Name:	IMG_20161105_181808.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	237153

A bit overcooked but good nonetheless. Didn't have enough time on the grill to soak in much smoke flavor but they came out tender and juicy. If we can get one more nice weekend here I'm going to do one last all wood SnS smoke with some monster ribeyes.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @,ribeyeguy, You done Good Eric! πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ». I think You just had a Brain Lapse or you wouldn't have Posted This??
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

They look great ribeyeguy! I'd eat them for sure. It's time for me to do some steaks again.

Comment

Steve B yes I had the SnS in the middle for the sear then moved things around to finish with indirect cooking. That rack isn't mine. It's Weber's. It's an accessory for the WSCG. It doesn't work that well though with the kettle. It sorta works on a 26" kettle but doesn't fit the 22" kettle. We're currently designing an elevated grate that will work much better with the SnS. Won't be on sale until next year though. Probably in time for the Summer.

Comment

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great Just another thing I'm (we here in the pit) will have to get. Not a bad thing. Keeps the MCS going.
                      BTW the next thing to work on - a place to put a temp probe on the DnG.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here