Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, that's it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, that's it.

Just a question of: Fat side up or down on a brisket. I made the mistake of answering on this Facebook post: It depends on the heat source. FFS I was lambasted as to not saying fat side up. No more. I'm not going back to the dark side for anything. The folks here are true Pit Masters. So irritated. Breathe in...exhale.....i'm ok now, i think.

I do both. I start fat side up when cooking indirectly, then flip to get the other side barked up as well.

In the PBC I hang for the first 5-5.5 hours, then I go to the grate. I do fat cap down first if it needs it, then fat cap up to bark up the other side; or I just go straight to fat cap up because sometimes they (fat caps) will bark up plenty just by hanging.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Fat protects the heat side of the of the product being cooked. Fat does not flavor it. I guess I'm not appreciating getting my butt ripped when I state this when it is backed scientifically with studies by food experts such as Meathead, and Dr. Blonder.

I always smoked my briskets with the fat side down no matter what I'm cooking with Weber kettle (indirect heat), pellet smoker, WSM or the Lang. The reason I do is the fat doesn't penetrate the meat and with the fat on top it can washed some of the rub off.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a lot of toys (Severe MCS?) DWCowles

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait until you see his thermometer collection. 😎

You are absolutely correct, as far as I'm concerned anyway. It does depend on the heat source. People who can't see that different conditions necessitate different actions are the people who go in ditches when it snows.

My rule (for me) is place the fat cap as a shield from the heat. Whichever direction the heat is coming from, there's the fat cap as a barrier. On my kettle with SnS, fat cap up since most of the heat is higher up, as opposed to lower at the grate (I rotate it later to bark up the bottom side, maybe for the last 2 hrs or so)
    On my stickburner, fat cap down since most of the heat comes from below.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      And truth hath been spoken. Couldn't agree more.

What does Aaron Franklin do?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Fat side up on his own smokers.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, fat side up before wrapping. Fat side down when wrapping.

I guess I have been doing it wrong for at least 1/2 of the Last 40+ Yrs?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 Dan, I most seriously doubt that you've been doin' it wrong!
      Jus' sayin' ;-)

Honestly I don't think it matters, does it? If your heat source is indirect, then the roast is getting evenly heated. It probably depends on your smoker. If the heat is uneven, then start it one way and flip it halfway through. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Edit: I answered and then read the other posts. I agree exactly with what Huskee wrote.

Comment

Here is something that I have observed on my smokers over the years - it seems to be a consistent phenomenon with my current uprights, my old COS's and my Vision grill. It may or may not also be applicable here. I cook bacon wrapped tenderloins, chicken and turkey breasts on occasion. At low temps, the bacon on the top crisps faster than the bacon on the bottom. When the temp goes up to 275 or above, the bacon on the bottom cooks faster. Has anyone found a correlation between cooking temps and the fat side up/fat side down preference question?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think it is due to the grates heating up and putting off enough radiant heat at 275, that "out competes" the convective air flow over the top?

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do believe so - which then leads to the question about temp being the deciding factor in those who have a preference for fat side up vs fat side down.

I put mine in an oversized rib rack on it's side so I can straddle both sides of the fence...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here