Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving the brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving the brisket

Most of the time there are only 2 of us, so a 7# flat is just too much to consume over a couple of days. (Besides, by then I am ready to cook something else). I want to put a chunk of the meat in a freezer zip lock bag and stick it in the freezer. My wife wants me to slice it first.
    Any suggestions or recommendations on how this can be saved for later?
    And how best to revive it?

Well you could always cut the flat and cook half of it and freeze the rest for a later cook. Brine it, season and then freeze. Take it out of the freezer and put it right on the smoker.

Or you could cook it whole, put it in the cambro when your finished and let it rest the normal time. Then cut it in half and freeze one half, serve one half. Try top get all of the air out of the bag before freezing. Then when you are ready to reheat it; Put the bag into a pot of hot water and reheat until it reaches 165 F. And your good to go!!!

Comment

If it were me, I'd cook half and freeze half like Spinaker suggested. OR, smoke a chuck roast instead.

Comment

I Smoke whole flats and freeze some all the time. Then we just add a little broth and reheat low and slow. Sometimes sliced and sometime whole. In my opinion either is ok.

Comment

I had a lot left over last cook and I put it sliced in a ziplock then submerged the bag in a pot of water to get the air out and sealed it. Few weeks later I took it out and let it unthaw in fridge then warmed in microwave. Not an ounce of flavor degradation as far as I could tell.

Comment

Slice it and portion it, then freeze it. If you do it whole then you have to thaw the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
              Slice it and portion it, then freeze it. If you do it whole then you have to thaw the whole thing.
              Agreed! Whatever I cook, I portion into 4 oz servings and vacuum seal for future meals. When it's time to serve, I pull as many as I need well in advance and give them a Sous vide bath at the appropriate temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here