Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket: Temp too low and I'm out of time. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket: Temp too low and I'm out of time. Help!

Cooked my brisket overnight using my cyberQ WiFi temperature controller and something went wrong with it. It seemed to stop working in the night.

I woke up to a 170 degree pit and 150 degree brisket! Now I'm in trouble because it's 8:30 AM and I have to serve this at 5 PM to a crowd of people.

Help! What's the best way to rescue this? Kick the pit temperature up? Throw it in the oven? Cut the rest time?

Suggestions very much appreciated!

Either choice, I'd probably put it in the oven at 250-275.

Comment

I'd foil it and run the temp up to about 325. That ought to do it. You can firm the bark by putting it under the broiler when it's done.

Comment

hungrybear I don't think you should fear. Crank the temp up to normal and continue on. You'll be in good shape. Wrap it tightly in foil when the brisket gets to 170-180, and once it gets to 195-200, or anywhere in that general vicinity, drop your pit temp to 170 or move it to a faux cambro until it's time to slice & serve.

Comment

Yep, good advice by Huskee

Comment

hungrybear, Huskee "To The Rescue" Huskee "To The Rescue" 👍👍👍👍👍
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Yep. In the oven. It has already collected plenty of smoke flavor. You'll never notice the diff.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                at what temp, Meathead ?

Yeah, if it were 1:30PM, or if you were serving at noon, you should panic. But there's lots of time to save this.

Comment

Originally posted by hungrybear View Post
                Cooked my brisket overnight using my cyberQ WiFi temperature controller and something went wrong with it. It seemed to stop working in the night.

I woke up to a 170 degree pit and 150 degree brisket! Now I'm in trouble because it's 8:30 AM and I have to serve this at 5 PM to a crowd of people.

Help! What's the best way to rescue this? Kick the pit temperature up? Throw it in the oven? Cut the rest time?

Suggestions very much appreciated!
                Do you have a Maverick ET-732 or similar to back up the CyberQ?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I do have an ET-732 as a backup.

When I investigated further, the adapter that connects the CyberQ's fan to my WSM's vent had loosened, shifted and was actually blocking the air flow. I hadn't noticed last night because the temperature was very stable.

Anyway, brisket is now in the oven, wrapped. It's at 190 with 2 hours to go. 😅

Comment

As a sidenote, I've never used the Maverick ET-732 in my indoor oven before. Looks like the oven's thermostat reads about 30 degrees higher than the Maverick.

Comment

• Lost in China
                      Lost in China commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, no kidding, I noticed that too. Just imagine how many cakes and casseroles are cooked at the "wrong" temperature, and yet somehow come out just fine. This cooking thing isn't an exact science.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The instructions for the oven should tell you how to adjust the setting so that you get an average temp of what's it's set for. If the instructions aren't available, you can get them online. Remember that ovens will swing + or _ 20* to 30*.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The instructions for the oven should tell you how to adjust the setting so that you get an average temp of what's it's set for. If the instructions aren't available, you can get them online. Remember that ovens will swing + or _ 20* to 30*.

Way to go, hungrybear !! You got this one in the bag, Brother!

I hope you are takin' some pitchers!!!

Comment

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      or at least drinkin' from some pitchers

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL! Both'd be favorite!!!

Good save Bear!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here