Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to traditionally texas a briskett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to traditionally texas a briskett

I am in ND in the military and all my Texan co workers want me to do a brisket. I've done briskets before but used just any rubs that catch my fancy. I want to do this straight traditional. What's the traditional texas brisket?
    Last edited by frijolefrito; October 6, 2016, 12:41 PM.

Can't go wrong with this: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Comment

• frijolefrito
      frijolefrito commented
      Editing a comment
      I have looked at that. I can almost hear you saying "DUH" at the end of this.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      frijolefrito - nope! This is a DUH free zone ...

Tried and true.

Just let it ride until that dude gets barked before wrapping.

Comment

Salt and Pepper. Maybe some onion or garlic powder. Oak smoke out of the fire. No wrapping.

Comment

you can go traditional with 50/50 Salt and Pepper, a bit of Garlic if you want. The BBBR is great, I prefer that over just 50/50 S&P on my beef.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to agree with the BBBR. I love that bit of heat from the ancho and cayenne. It makes a world of difference.

Salt and pepper on brisket is sooooo bland. BBBR has spoiled me.

Comment

Just because it's SO Texas -- I'd have to use some mesquite wood for smoke flavor. Wouldn't take much.

Comment

• Northside Brian
            Northside Brian commented
            Editing a comment
            definitely go easy on the mesquite. I start with a small chunk of mesquite then add oak after about an hour.

big bad rub is awesome. Going oak pellets. I should use bbr and texas mop sauce?

Comment

oh and 225 six hours with the texas crutch lol.

Comment

frijolefrito, If you have time and patience to work through the peculiarities of your own cooker, may I suggest that you smoke naked (brisket not you) until it is done to your liking. Then wrap in pink butcher paper and faux cambro for an hour or so before serving. Will come out closer to that BBQ joint taste and texture that your Texas buddies are looking for, I believe.

Comment

I have traeger pellet smoker. WHY can't I smoke naked... I laughed at that. What does butcher paper do over tinfoil?

Comment

• Porterdriver
                Porterdriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Because you'll be in jail when it's time to take the brisket off! DUH!
                The unlined (pink) butcher paper allows a bit better air exchange while keeping the heat in. Keeps bark more like it just came off the pit rather than having the brisket wander towards being a highly flavored pot roast.

You got this frijolefrito ... your friends will be delighted. Thanks for your service.👍

Comment

Originally posted by frijolefrito View Post
                I have traeger pellet smoker. WHY can't I smoke naked... I laughed at that. What does butcher paper do over tinfoil?
                Paper tends to hold in more moisture over going nekkid the whole way, keeps the bark slightly softer in that regard, but a bit drier and crunchier than foil. While I've never noticed pot roastiness from foil-crutched brisket, others report this. I think a lot of that has to do with when the crutch is used- at the start of the stall, you're more likely to get weak bark and a more steamed effect on the brisket. After the stall, you have bark city and less time 'steaming' IMO.

Paper is a happy medium between nekkid and foil. I've tried it and didn't like it as well as foil, but that's purely my preferences. An advantage foil has is that it's waterproof, so the au jus collects in the foil and can be drizzled back on your slices, very useful for slices from the flat.

Any method you choose, like anything, has its pros and cons and its own proponents.

Comment

Last thing and I may just have to make a new post about it. Does anyone know a good jalapeno macaroni and cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by frijolefrito View Post
                    Last thing and I may just have to make a new post about it. Does anyone know a good jalapeno macaroni and cheese?
                    Meathead's Crack 'n Cheese. One of the optional ingredients is jalapeño.

Comment

• frijolefrito
                      frijolefrito commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Once again I can almost hear you saying "DUH" at the end of this. I saw that recipe. I heard of jalapeno popper mac n cheese... I really need to get a solid mac n cheese down.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      frijolefrito No "duh" here, unless you ask if we have a ribs recipe, lol. Many of these side dishes get lost in the wealth of info here, even to those of us who peruse the articles regularly. This recipe isn't easy or cheap or low calorie, but man is it good.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here