Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip carryover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip carryover

Tomorrow I'm making tri-tip for some friends. I need to transport it, so could be an hour until I slice it.
    What sort of carryover temp should I plan for?

You might be able to calculate it. The formula is further down the page. This is the website of our very own Dr. Blonder.

invention, future, greg blonder,cBBQ, food science, genuineideas, toys, genes, darwin, growth of internet, venture capital, deep time

Comment

5-7 degrees is what I usually see

Comment

It may be tough if you want it Med rare or rare, but if youre OK with medium i'd say to take it off 120-125 and wrap and it will cook nicely to medium. If you want to minimize carryover a bit, Id suggest to wrap in foil but make a couple slits in the foil to let it breathe, that way it should stay warm but not overcook. Otherwise buy yourself a $29 weber smokey joe and go mobile!

Comment

This is my method, cook til 127 ... pull, get temp on Big Green Egg up to 650, then sear each side for 2.5 minutes. Final temp 140.
          Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooh! Aah!

Right now I'm leaning towards stopping around 130 AFTER searing, which would probably take it near 140. The meal is for a friend who is one week out from open heart surgery, so don't want this one too rare! Med would be perfect. Tri-tip fajitas... Mmmmmm...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here