Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The brisket is on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The brisket is on...

Got a 17 lb Choice brisket in the Lang. I put it on at 3 am this morning and hoping to serve around 5 pm this afternoon.
    Trying something new this time. I injected it with Butcher's Prime Brisket Injection then wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 15 hrs. I also applied pepper, granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning.

i have three racks of BB ribs that will be going in the Lang around 10 am (maybe 9 am).

We are celebrating my brother n law's 72nd birthday today and going to watch the Cowboys beat the Bears (I hope). Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	224333

That's a big brisket. Good luck with it today. Ain't it great being up in the middle of the night.
    Tell your brother n law the pit wishes him a happy birthday.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is Steve B it's so peaceful just hearing the fire pop and crackle. Oh...almost forgot about the crickets...lol.

Good looking brisket. I hate getting up but love the quiet time on my deck. Not the same effect with the pellet smoker but still love sitting out there smelling the smoke....someone needs to write a book, Zen and the Art of BBQ.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great title!

5 1/2 hours into the cook, IT temp is at 160 F. Should be hitting the stall soon. Going to wrap with pink butcher paper when it gets to 175ish. Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	224387

Comment

Dang that looks good! Can't wait to see the finish... Happy bday to you bro-in law... Cowboys will win!

Comment

Looking good! Anxious to hear how the brisket injection works for you. I did one butt with Butchers Pork injection and didn't care for the flavor, but have heard good things about the brisket injection.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good. I was going to inject mine but forgot. Stupid me. But I do have a container of beef stock for future use. Keep it going.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The directions said to mix with water but I decided to mix it with beef broth.

The brisket is in the stall so it's a good time to put the ribs on. Click image for larger version

Views:	102
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	224417

Comment

So far so good, the flat IT is 165 F and the point is 171 F.. Got it wrap in the butcher paper. The ribs are looking good and just put on some ABTs.Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	224445
          Last edited by DWCowles; September 25, 2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Are you going to pull based on the flat or the point temp/tenderness?

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually just take it to 203 but I think I will do the probe test on this one jlazar

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Very interested to hear how the Butchers with beef stock works out. I have some Butchers for my next brisket but have never used it before. Interesting that some folks don't like the flavor.

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I have also heard people say they didn't like the taste but they mix it with water not beef broth. We will see later today if it's no good I will trash the injection.

Looks fantastic, so far, DW!!!

Please, keep the pics coming!!!

Good Luck!!!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Hah! THat was actually friend's COS

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Is Mr. Bones still there ecowper

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Done tol' y'all once't;

Ah'm everywhere! ;-)

Looking great - can't wait for the final pics.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
              Looking great - can't wait for the final pics.
              Me three!!!

Comment

Looking good DW. I see those ABT's in there. Those gotta be killer on the Lang.

I tried some Butcher BBQ injection on some shoulders I did a few weeks ago, and it made a difference, I think.
                I wouldn't say it blew me out of the water. But I think that if I had been competing, it may have given me the edge. The ribs and wings were the real stars that day anyway, so maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

Are you going to put the Texas Rib Candy on those ribs? I think I remember you using that stuff before. Thats my go too anyway. I love that stuff. I love the sweet heat.

Good luck with the rest of the cook! Its looking good so far.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I have some Apricot Texas pepper jelly left that I going to put on them.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice man. I haven't tried that one yet. Let me know how it goes.

Dang, the brisket has been in the stall for 3 1/2 hrs so far.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn dude, even with it wrapped?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  even with it wrap Spinaker so I decided to wrap in foil over the paper and it's starting to rise.

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, that big hunk of meat will take some time!

Does anyone know if the Butcher's brisket injection will cause the stall to prolonged?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would need a stethoscope, 1/2 gallon of milk, and one dozen muffin tops, in order to determine that. How is the airflow where the brisket is located?

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All I would need would be a bottle of 18yr old single-malt Scotch.

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've not seen any change in cooking time, and we've used butchers many times. Some side-by-side tests with non-injected ones.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here