Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I landed a 15lb Kobe Brisket and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I landed a 15lb Kobe Brisket and need some advice

My family is having a get together for our Uncle Jack. The party is about 2:30 hours away from me and we are serving Saturday @ 5pm. I figured I would smoke this gift from God and let it sit in my cooler wrapped up like a precious little child on the way to Houston. I could not help myself when I saw a Kobe brisket. What is the luck that this would be at my local HEB here in Round Rock. So i trimmed this beauty and have it dry brining. I have done some web searching for intel on Kobe/Wagyu briskets and I seem to get some conflicting info. I am a 225 on a stick burning, side smoker kinda guy. Since I need to try and time this baby as best I can. Do Kobe briskets cook faster or longer? Any general advice?

El Guapo I have never cooked one. But I do know, that Prime cooks faster than select, in my experience. So one would assume the KOBE would cook faster than Prime, given the increased marbling. Just my two cents.

Comment

It may well cook some faster, but still better to spend more time wrapped up in the cooler than to be late to "Uncle Jack's" party. Give yourself plenty of cook time regardless. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

It should cook faster, how much faster is hard to say. Yesterday I did a 12 lb prime packer and kept it in my cooler which I heated up (about 1/2 gallon almost boiling water, placed lid on for about 15 min) for 3.5 hrs. The brisket was at internal of 200 when it went into the cooler, when I took it out to serve it was still at internal of 165.

Comment

In my experience, start probing the point at about 190. The flat is usually 200-205, but still, start checking it early. My last one the point was 193, the flat 205.

Comment

I did a 14lb SRF wagyu brisket last weekend. It was about the same time as the couple other couple briskets i've done. Only the third brisket ive done though. The point was probe tender in the low 190s after about 10 hours. Took another hour to get the flat tender and then 2 hours in the cooler. This run was in a kettle/sns. I wrapped when point hit 180.

Comment

You will have super fun!

I've cooked a whole 2 SRF Wagyu briskets, and they were great!

What I learned so far: It has a lot of fat, and you have to make sure all that fat is rendered, so you get that perfect mouth feel. If you can up your temp some in the 2nd half of the cook (250-275), I would.

Probe tender is what you are looking for.

Keep us posted with Pictures!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here