Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canned corned beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canned corned beef

I've been making homemade corned beef from the recipe on the Amazing Ribs site for a couple of years. After the corning process, i usually rinse off the meat and put stuff the meat (nothing else) in jars as tightly as possible and can it for 90 minutes in a pressure canner. The end result is AMAAAAAZZZING!!!!. and it keeps forever. Be sure to follow all the canning guidelines for pressure and time.

Im going to try corning some moosemeat that i have, to see how that turns out.

​​​​​​Happy cooking and canning everyone.

Barry (Calgary, Canada)

I am not an expert on canning meat but everything I have read is that it is the single most risky preservation process and that if the acidity level isn't perfect, the can can develop botulism bacteria and they are fatal. If you continue doing this, make sure you have carefully researched canning meats and follow the process precisely.

BTW, corned beef freezes beautifully.

Comment

According to the National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP), meat can be canned as long as you use a pressure canner. They now say that you can't do tomatoes in a boiling water bath (BWB) because they're not acidic enough. However, you can raise the acidity in some foods by adding citric acid. I do that now with my tomato sauce, just to make sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here