Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Dino Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Dino Bones

Picked up two short rib plates. Each one was 3 bones and together they weighed almost 10 pounds. Trimmed them of most of the fat and silver skin and then an over night dry brine... Click image for larger version

Name:	trimmed.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	218818

Next day I applied Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. In his recipe, Meathead said that he likes the complexity of using 2 different chili powders. For my second chili powder I used ground Hawaiian Chili Peppers. Went a little light on the rub because I was a little apprehensive about the heat of the Hawaiian Chili Peppers and didn't want to mess up my first try at short ribs. These turned out pretty good but I will use more rub the next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26987.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	218819

Total cook wound up taking almost 10 hours. I checked my Rec Tec around the middle of the cook and found that my temperature had dropped from a steady 225° down to 135°. Big Panic! Called Tech Support at Rec Tec and they got me cooking again. Turned out to be an auger tunnel clogged with dust. I won't make the mistake next time of loading my pellet hopper by pouring from an inverted bag which pours out all of the pellets and ALL of the dust.

Checked my temperature at 10 hours and got over 190° but the ribs were definitely probe tender so I didn't hang around for the full 203°. Considering the full panic from the flame out in the middle of my cook I think that these turned out alright. Tasted really good and there is a LOT of meat on a full short rib plate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dino.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	218820
    Last edited by swong13; September 9, 2016, 10:15 AM.

Awesome cook! Those look crazy good.

Comment

Sigh! I should eat before visiting the Pit. Those look great.

Comment

I finally found a source for them close to me. Love the cave man ribs. Yours look wonderful.

Comment

I would eat one for breakfast! Right now! Congrats!

Comment

Always one of my favorite to smoke! Those look fantastic!

Comment

Can someone post the link to mh article. Everytime I navigate to it my phone says error loading the webpage. That is the only link that does it to me. I want to see if I can access thru this. If I can't can some either past the article here or in box me so I can print it out. Thanks

Comment

Desperate measures for desperate times. Lol

Comment

Yes it is. But it still doesn't work for me. I clicked on your link thinking it might reroute but it keeps saying problem with website. That is the only link on this site that doesn't work on my phone. Guess I'll have to get the misses iPad out and print it from there. Then I'll have to burn her iPad cause I don't want her to know where I'm getting all the great food trucks from. I'm not a loser anymore now that I can cook for her. Lol
                thanks for trying

Comment

Auto spell...food tricks

Comment

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can go back and edit the typos, even after you post the message. Just click on the "Edit" at the bottom of the post.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here