Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to give up on Brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about to give up on Brisket.

im dying here. Large BGE. I can smoke killer pork and chicken.

Ive read every tip. I've tried every temp combination. My briskets are always too dry. If I pull off to early, tough as nails.

I'm so frustrated right now I might be buying all my future brisket from Rudy's.

I literally don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any tips or a definitive guide I should read? I'm totally LOST.

What is your process for the brisket cook?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Spoken like a true supporter!

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Im dry brining for about 6 hours. Then using either mustard or oil along with a thick layer of dry rub. Sits overnight in the fridge.

Egg grill surface temp using a Maverik at 220-230. I've also done 210-220. Dome temp has been calibrated using boiling water and always reads higher by about 20F.

Ive tried wrapping at 165. I've tried wrapping at 180. I've tried pulling off at 180 and wrapping foil then towel into an ice chest for a few hours.

I've wrapped at 180 and cooked to 205. I've done 160 and wrapped until 195.

you name it, in tried it. Perhaps 10 briskets. A few have been quite good upon first slice but terribly 10 min later being served. Always dried out as heck.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you use a plate-setter? I'm assuming you do, since you mention liquid in the drip pan. But worth confirming.

Also I've bought trimmed and packer cut.

Comment

What grade brisket? select or unmarked, choice, prime?

Comment

HEB marked USDA Choice on the one in the freezer. $3.94/lb if that helps. This one is trimmed.

Comment

Have you tried injecting? I followed MH's instructions as far as injecting and crutching. Picture below is after the cook completed and right before it went into the faux for about an hour. --Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	217582

Comment

Did you use the beef broth? I've not tried that yet. A glimmer of hope. Off set cooker or heat directly under?

Comment

Yes, I used beef broth. Here's the rig with a 2x2 fuse around the Vortex. Actually had to add more coals to complete the cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	217586

Comment

Personally I would try running a little hotter like 250 - 275. lower temps mean longer time and more time to dry out. yes Indirect heat , beef broth and dry brine 24 -48 hours. inject and rub just prior to smoking and spray mist when it starts to dry on the surface. Here is an injection I think was from Ray Lampe
                Big Cow Beef Injection
                Makes 2 and one-fourth cups
                2 cups beef broth
                one-fourth cup Worcestershire sauce
                1 teaspoon onion powder
                1 teaspoon garlic powder
                one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate before injecting.
                Last edited by Powersmoke_80; September 4, 2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds Awesome!

My first brisket is in the freezer, but I have heard and/or read that brisket dries quickly when sliced. I know that at Franklin's they don't slice it until you are there to get it, so the 10 min wait between slicing and serving may be too much. Maybe you should slice at the table.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great point!

• rip1877
                  rip1877 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Has there been testing done on this theory? I would like to know as well...

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rip1877 - that's easy enough to do. Just put one slice to the side for 10 min or so and then cut a fresh slice after waiting to compare. I would suggest using the second or third slice after the wait for comparison in case the first slice has started to dry.

I have a Large BGE and have done approx 10 brisky's and all have come out fantastic. Myself, I like to keep things simple. Salt/Pepper 275 degrees, temp controlled by PartyQ. No kind of water at all. I pull at the stall (approx 160) wrap in butcher paper, finished @ 203

I then pull and put it in my cooler for approx 4 hours and let the cooler do it's magic. When we're ready to serve, I don't cut the whole brisket, I only cut as needed so it doesn't dry. If I can help in any way, please message me. Tim

Comment

When you guys are taking your temp measurements, are you in the flat?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                  Powersmoke_80 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes final temp is in the thickest part of the flat and do not get near the fat band where the point is attached if doing a whole packer. and of coarse the 275 is ambient at the grate.

Buying a Prime brisket will make a difference. Also, try dry brining overnight. Skip the mustard. Skip the oil. Just salt, then add the rub right before the cook. Wrap that brisket tight as you can when you do wrap and put some low-sodium beef broth in the foil.

I also agree with what others are saying, inject that bad boy. Sometimes I render the fat from the trimmings and then inject the rendered fat into the flat. This has worked for me when I cooked select briskets. (but I always try to cook PRIME) You can also try injecting with beef broth, but I would use low sodium broth to avoid the doubling up on the salt.

When I cook briskets in my Kamado, I cook at about 275 F. This might help to mitigate the dryness that your experiencing as well.

Don't give up. There is hope!! Breadhead is also a great resource for BGE stuff. Shoot him a PM or wait for him to chime in. Please let us know how things go. We want to help you get this figured out. WE will get this figured out, one way or another.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great tips here. Especially wrapping TIGHT. No leaks.

I appreciate all the advice greatly. Like I said, pork and chicken are a no brainer and my family and friends think I'm a BBq god. I hate to disappoint with the brisket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here