Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami questions....

I just found a flat, in my freezer. (I get a half cow every year and this may have gotten lost in the shuffle....and next year my instructions will be to NOT separate the point and flat....)

I've done Meathead's pastrami recipe before, and it kicks ass. Not quite as good as Jewish deli pastrami but far above anything I can get around here.

Now....since it's only 2 lbs, can I (and by how much) reduce the curing time? I'm trying to calculate the process so that I can smoke it on a weekend. If I go three days in the cure, two to desalinate and two with the rub on, I can do this next weekend.

Also, I just sliced up some short ribs for Kalbi.....and then I came on here and saw the thread about making short rib pastrami..... dammit....

Third question. I was somewhere recently that advertise a pork pastrami sandwich. (Probably won't find those at Katz's.....) I wasn't hungry, so I didn't try one, but it intrigued me. What cut would one use to pastrami-fy? How would the process differ from beef?

For a pork pastrami, I think I'd be looking toward curing a pork belly. Lots of different kinds of recipes around, and the Chinese excel. Though that we be a very different flavor profile.

Your curing time will be dependent on the thickness of the piece, so not quite sure how to guide you. Maybe one of the more experienced folk can give you a "reference" thickness, and you can compare that to the piece you have. But it's hard to overcure something you're corning, then turning into pastrami - within moderation. I have a vague memory of about 3 days curing, but that's from several years ago.

Comment

Curing time is calculated for thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        Curing time is calculated for thickness.
        Yeah, I should have mentioned that. It's only about 3/4" thick

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Making a wild guess, 48 hours will do you.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here