Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A reason to separate, or a reason not to? (Point and flat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reason to separate, or a reason not to? (Point and flat)

Starting with the first one, I've always split the muscles and cooked them that way. Every brisket so far, the point has finished before the flat; not always by a lot, but always at least an hour. But today's cook is a little different.

My setup has evolved this way: BGE, two levels, flat on the bottom and point on the top. I monitor the lower level and flat with the DigiQ, the upper level and the point with a Maverick 733.

I put the meat on at 11:45 last night, the DigiQ set low, to 235, because I don't like stuff getting finished too early. I took the Maverick into the bedroom where I could check it when I get up during the night to use the bathroom.

At 4AM, the upper level was at 252 (17* difference not a big deal in a Kamado), and the point was reading 171... oh, boy. At 5:30, 252, and 191, and it was time to start probing. Not quite like butter, but close. And now, at 6:30AM, the point is wrapped and in the cooler.

Meanwhile, the flat is 179, and just left the stall. I think, idk, it's gone up 2* in the last half hour. But probably. Yep, it just hit 180.

Now, the upper rack runs hotter for the first half of most long cooks on my BGE, and the chamber evens out after a while. That didn't happen this time. But the difference of 17* isn't that much, some quick estimating of 252 minus ambient temp of 60, 235 minus ambient, about a 10% difference and then apply some formula for heat transfer that probably invokes an inverse square law or something, that plus the smaller and more tender flat will probably account for the usual hour or so difference.

So anyhow, here I am, on about 4.5 hours of sleep. And I could look at this two ways.

1) Good thinking! The point is going to be maximally tender, and when the flat is done, it too will be maximally tender!

2) Hey, that's great and all, but if you hadn't separated the roast, you would still be in bed right now, ya big goof.

What's the crowdsource information say? Is there a right path, or are there many right paths?

It it looks like brisket omelet for breakfast!

I've never done a whole brisket yet, but my next one is gunna be a cryovac. I am planning to separate the point and the flat like you do before I cook em on the WSCG. Seems to make the most sense. And a little lost sleep for the noble cause of bbq isn't a bad thing!!!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know how it turns out, kingdarb .

Kathryn

I'm in the 'don't separate' club. I just like pulling a big hunk out to slice up. No other real reason. When cooking intact, the point seems to be slower coming up to temp. I'm in the habit of pulling it when the flat is at temp, even if the point is only 195 or 198. A cambro or power cambro hold seems to equalize them and all is well.

Comment

Mosca - why would you put the faster cooking point on the hotter top grate? I'm thinking there would be a better chance of them getting done at the same time if you put the point on the cooler grate, and that way you would possibly get more sleep. You can take what I just said with a grain of salt because my first full packer is still in the freezer...

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        A large BGE isn't so large when you get up into the curved part. The flat of a full packer rubs on the sides.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        So is that a BGE rub, or are you sayin' that your BGE rubs your brisket the wrong way??

Nice meteorite!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	214562

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        oh yeah....
        looking good.

Mosca I have done them both ways and like separating them. I separated the point from the flat last week and cooked the flat while freezing the point. The amount of meat is more compatible with the number of people I feed. I wrapped the flat at 160 and it finished at 203 in about six hours total, but I didn't care for the super soft bark. It was super tender, and the next one I do will be without wrapping for comparison sake.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here