Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topside beef with black pepper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topside beef with black pepper

I had a cut (2.2 lbs) of topside beef, also called boneless beef inside (I believe). It's the inside thigh of the rear leg of a cow.

The raw beef cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	roastbeef_blackpepper_1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	212176

Rub applied

Name:	roastbeef_blackpepper_2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	212179

I decided to rub it with coarsely ground black pepper only, then cook it indirect at around 280°F until inner temp was 130° F. Then wrap it in aluminum foil and a thick towel, let it rest for 40-50 minutes.

Meat on the grill (BGE)

Name:	roastbeef_blackpepper_4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	212178

Said and done, that is what happened, and it turned out very good indeed. Good beef flavor, accompanied by the black pepper. I made thin slices and ate it with corn and grilled tomatoes, and a good cabernet. Simple, but delicious. In this case, with such a lean cut, the resting period (after cooking) is even more important for a juicy end result.

Final product

Name:	roastbeef_blackpepper.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	212177

Well done sir... looks delicious.

Comment

A great job on this Henrik.

Comment

That looks amazing, Henrik ... congratulations!

Comment

Great looking cook. Those toms are looking tasty too!

Comment

Could that be part of what we call a tri-tip? Seems to me the same general area of the animal.....

Comment

Is that the same as a tri-tip?

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Very nice! Great photos as well.

Comment

Thank you all!

As for the tri-tip comment: very interesting! As we all know butchering and different cuts are a very cultural thing. In Sweden this is labelled "beef inside thigh". I've never bought a tri-tip, since it isn't available here, but I'm very interested in where that cut comes from.

I did look through the Meat Buyers Guide to find a match, and I think this is item 184 D, named Beef Loin, Top Sirloin, Cap (the Biceps Femoris muscle, basically the biceps muscle on the rear leg, meaning it is located on the back side).

Anyone else got an idea?

Comment

Hi Henrik

per the NAMP catalog a tri tip is labelled 185D

Best regards,
                      Jim

Comment

For personal reasons, top side is one of my least favorite cuts. Will definitely try this, maybe ill change my mind.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring an idea!

Comment

• Henrik
                          Henrik commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cool, thanks. Go ahead and try it, I'm sure you'll like it. To make sure your cook is successful, two things are important for a lean cut like this: 1) bring it up to temp slowly, and no higher than 130° F, and 2) let it rest long enough.

I'm surprised you got that much of a smoke ring taking it to only 130F. And it sure doesn't look like any tri-tip I've ever seen. Still, looks tasty. I would think the thinner the slice the better, might make for a good Philly Cheesesteak sammie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here