Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brine if using Montreal Steak seasoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine if using Montreal Steak seasoning?

I'm going to smoke a chuck roast tomorrow and I plan to use Montreal Steak seasoning as the rub. Since salt is a component of the mix, would you recommend dry brining or skip it?

When using a salt containing rub I apply the rub as the dry brining agent and no more salt is added after that.

Comment

Thanks Jerod Broussard . When I use MSS on steaks, I don't dry brine. With the chuck roast being a bit more portly than my typical ribeye, I wasn't sure if a bit of additional salt would be needed.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I would also add the salt containing rub I use does not have any sugar. Sugar will also pull water out, but it won't penetrate the meat and aid in moisture retention like salt will.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        and sugary rubs have a way of burning on a long cook...

I'm totally with Jerod. My rib rub contains salt and it's my dry brine all in one. I'd say for a roast just add a wee bit more than you might typically want on a steak. Not only is it thicker, but roasts are sliced thin leaving only a small rim of seasoning on each slice compared to center meat. And if you're making pulled beef from it, well, the bark will mix up just dandy!

Comment

Pulled beef sammies are on the menu for tomorrow Huskee !

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yuuuum! One of my all time faves!

Another successful hot n' fast cook using a chuck roast this go around. I did 50/50 lit/unlit coal ratio ala Huskee and ran the kettle between 350-370 for 4.5 hours and followed up with a 1.5 hr cambro hold. The flavor was phenomenal. For you chuckie aficionados, I'm curious if a smoked chuck roast "should" be as tender as a traditional braised pot roast (likely not)? Most of the chuckie was tender when pulling and eating....one chunk (thickest) was on the chewy side (but not over or under cooked ). Probe temp was 208-210 throughout. I may try a more traditional approach next time...getting a couple hours of smoke on the roast and then finish by braising with beef stock and veggies.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          We use Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup Mix instead of stock, and love the flavor..

I have gotten to the point where I do a light dry brine the day before, and then a light MSS several hours before cooking. That give some salt time to penitrate, and then the MSS can add a bit of flavor.

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB, what is MSS? (don't mean to sound too dumb)
          Dave

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          MSS = Montreal Steak Seasoning

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here