Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut your own flat iron steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut your own flat iron steaks

I've got to try this. Flat iron steaks for around 4 bucks each? I'm in.

Check out this simple hack for taking a cheap grocery store roast and turning it into two high quality and inexpensive Flat Iron steaks!

Thanks for the vid Dr ROK ! After watching this, it would explain why I had such lousy flat irons from one of the local grocery stores. They didn't take the extra 14 seconds to cut out the membrane after halving the the roast. I will have to ask the butcher about top blade roasts as I can't recall ever seeing one. Thanks again!

Comment

Awesome video! I love Jess Pryles.

Comment

I've said this before, but in case anyone cares those roasts make the BEST pulled beef. As good if not better than chuck. Never actually had the steaks...

Thanks for the share Dr ROK. I like Jess Pryles' love of meat & whiskey. And that accent.....

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack I suppose it depends where you shop and what the local butchers favor. Chucks in my area never contain the infraspinatus (aka top blade / flat iron) but they're instead a separate roast. Shoulder clod, different story.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee , what is a petite roast? I've never seen them around here.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          richinlbrg In my previous comment ^ the "petite roast" (as places may or may not call it) is the flat iron roast or top blade roast. Most academically correct it's the infraspinatus.

Craigar I've never had one because they are pricey around here (but blade roasts are one of the cheaper cuts around here) and I don't like spending money on steaks I haven't had the chance to try. I like spending my money on what I like . Now that I know how easy it is, I'm definitely going to be having some flat irons in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
          Craigar I've never had one because they are pricey around here (but blade roasts are one of the cheaper cuts around here) and I don't like spending money on steaks I haven't had the chance to try. I like spending my money on what I like . Now that I know how easy it is, I'm definitely going to be having some flat irons in the near future.
          I can understand the spending money thing. A couple, maybe 3 or 4 years ago they were going for an everyday price of $5.99/lb, then they would go on sale for $4.99/lb and sometimes $3.99/lb. BUT, the past year or so a person is hard pressed to find one on sale for $7.99/lb. The only reason we had one last week is my wife had a craving for one. One of the butcher shops I frequent, Just Good Meat, have featured their "His Fillet" for $6.19/ea, they average 8-10 oz. We have had them so often the past year and a half, I am about tired of fillets. But I digress...this summer NY strips and ribeyes have been going on sale for the same price or cheaper than the flat irons so we have been opting for what used to be the higher end steaks. The nice thing about strips and ribeyes is the fact you can dictate how thick you want them cut. With the flat iron you are pretty much relegated to the size of the animal. UN-L (go Huskers!) had a big hand in developing the flat iron cut and was supposed to be a lower priced option to the normal high end steaks. Like with everything else supply and demand has set the market price. With all that being said I will be looking for some top blade roasts this weekend.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Gbr!

Hrm. I see a use for MooGlue. Remove membrane, MooGlue back together, reverse seared Fat Iron. Profit.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your way of thinking.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            With a bag of Ajinomoto's finest in my fridge, always looking for a use.

From my mentors at The Healthy Butcher. Toronto, Canaada.

Comment

Shows how to trim it well but the membrane between the two pieces is connecrtive tissue (collagen), NOT a type of fat!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here