Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killer brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer brisket

I did a brisket today. It's premium black angus from Creekstone farms, a full packer, weighing in at around 13 lbs.
    I started it at 06AM (yes, early even for me). I dry brined it the day before, and then rubbed it with coarsely ground black pepper. No oil, no mustard. I cooked it at 275° F (135° C), which is a bit higher than my normal brisket temp (225°F). I wanted to try and cook at the same temp as Aaron Franklin. To pull that off I added a water pan, and also spritzed with water regularly.
    I then waited for the stall, but lo and behold, it never happened. This brisket went straight to 203° F (95° C) without stopping. Could be the higher temp, the meat/fat composition of this particular cut, or something else. Either way, I never wrapped it either (which I usually don't do anyway).

Once done I wrapped it in aluminum foil (2 layers) and then the old bath towel (my standard faux cambro). I let it rest for 4 hours, then sliced it.

I'll be honest, this was my best brisket to date. Pure bliss! The flat was good, passed the brisket (pull/tug) test, and the point was divine.

The raw product

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisketguide_3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	209889

Rub applied

Name:	brisketguide_8.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	209887

The cooked and rested product

Name:	brisketguide_9.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	209888

And here's the money shot

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	209885

Lessons learned

Cooking at higher temp worked well with the water pan and spritzing. Will continue with that.
    Will try to wrap next time, using butcher's paper, to see if I can tell the difference.

I feel like my barbecuing is in some kind of flow right now, enjoying every minute of it!
    Attached Files

Very nice!

Comment

Congrats on a great looking brisket! Love the "money shot"! Also love that slice on my plate! You just can't get that when you seperate the point from the flat...

Comment

Mmm, mmm, good! That is beautiful. Congrats! I cook pork butts on my BGE at ~250 and don't see a stall. High moisture environment & low airflow in the BGE helps.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. Another thing: I put it on at room temp (always direct from fridge otherwise). That affects smoke ring (or lack thereof).

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Cold & moist meat, lower temps -> smoke ring.. Lots more info and many details here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

Looks great!! I will look for your post on Instagram too!! Your page is a good follow!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! It is now published.

That briskey looks mmm mmm good.

Comment

A great looking brisket. I think you should try one at 250*, then 260* and maybe 280* and then...

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean closing in on Myron Mixon . He sure cooks hot n fast (with help from his water pans).

Nice cook Henrik ... You got your BBQ mojo finely tuned. The 2 seminars = more knowledge = more options. It's great having no doubt about your cook plan! Everything seems easy.👍

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said :-)

Mighty tasty looking... and very Proper!

Comment

Looks good Henrik

Comment

Nice looking Brisket!

Comment

Nice looking Brisky
                Yep try the red paper wrap
                I do believe you will be happy with it

Comment

What a great looking brisket! It is so much fun to tweak a few things and find that true sweet spot of smoking. Congrats!

Comment

What a beaut of a brisket, Henrik ! Why do you put your brisket on at room temp, especially when you put other meats on at fridge temps?

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good question: this was purely by accident :-) It was a big sucker, and I wanted it properly thawed, so I took it out early. I then applied rub, then did other things, and all of a sudden time had passed. Will continue putting on at fridge temp, I like a little smoke ring.

How long did it take up to when you pulled it out the cooker?

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It took 7 hours roughly.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here