Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round steak - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round steak - need advice

Hi all, I have attempted a round steak (I think that's what it is called in English, it's the rear outer thigh from a cow) twice, and the end results aren't good enough, so I thought I'd ask for advice here in the forum.

The quality of the meat itself is really good, I buy directly from a farm where I know that the animals are raised well. The meat is a 2-3 lb piece that is relatively lean, no visible fat or marbling or tendons. So basically I just wipe it with a paper towel, then apply a rub and smoke it.

Attempt 1:
    I dry brined it for 12 hours, then applied the MMD rub an hour in advance, and put it on the grate. The grill held 225 deg F, and I waited until it hit about 160 deg F before wrapping, as I thought it looked/felt a bit dry. I then brought it up to 185 deg F inner temp, let it rest in a faux cambro for one hour, then served. Result: tough and dry.

Attempt 2:
    I dry brined it for 12 hours, then applied the MMD rub an hour in advance, and put it on the grate. The grill held 225 deg F, and I decided to wrap real early, at 120 deg F, then brought it up to 160 deg F inner temp, let it rest in a faux cambro for one hour, then served. Result: again, tough and dry. Great flavor, though (used cherry wood on this one).

So, does anyone have good experience with round steak on the bbq? I know it is a bit dry/lean to begin with, so perhaps my attempts are futile, but I'm not ready to give up yet

So, here's my own amateur analysis of what I could do different.

Attempt 1: after wrapping, bring it up to 203 deg F before removing it from the grate, so the collagen get's a chance to melt. Don't know if it will work, as the meat is relatively lean, but worth a try.

Attempt 2: I think I attempted some kind of roast beef approach here, but failed again. Don't know what to change here, except discard the whole process, as it didn't work.

Now, fellow bbq'ers, feel free to chip in here, so I can learn and improve.

I haven't cooked these in years, but I do know they are excellent for Italian Beef if that is the type of meat you are looking for. Here is a link to Meathead's Italian Beef, he cooks much hotter.

Comment

I've done eye of round roast, is this what you mean, instead of steak? I assume so, since you say 2-3lbs (that's a big steak). Here in the states we typically refer to a steak as a thinner strip, and a roast as a thick hunk.

As mentioned, I've done eye of round roasts, but I never have taken them above medium. These cuts, since they're SO low in internal marbling and collagens, aren't well suited to high past-well-done temps like a pork butt or brisket would be. If you want to make something along those lines I would suggest a beef chuck roast, chuck tender roast, or flat iron roast. If you have lots of rounds, my advice would be to stick with doing them in the traditional steak methods- anywhere from rare to medium well max. As you're finding, these get tough when overcooked, it has the opposite effect on such a lean piece as typically BBQ meats.

Comment

Aahh, thanks! I read through Meathead's Italian Beef recipe, and now I know I am using what's called the "bottom round". Also, Huskee is right, it is a roast, not a steak. In Swedish, we call a roast a "steak", and a steak a "beef". Just to add to my confusion...

As always, thanks for the great advice. I'll go traditional on this one, just bring it up to rare or medium and slice it thinly.

Comment

• ontheranch
          ontheranch commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Henrik, to add to your confusion....in my world round steak is not for grilling. They are much more suited to cooking in liquid such as making swiss steak.
          They are tough and dry otherwise. Round steak here is an inch or less in thickness but can be quite large and weigh 2/3 lbs depending on size and age of animal. A bottom round roast really isn't a good choice either but shouldn't be too bad if not overcooked. Now that I've totally confused you...happy grilling!

By the way, tonight we are doing the tuna and thanks again for the help and instructions on that!!

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
        Aahh, thanks! I read through Meathead's Italian Beef recipe, and now I know I am using what's called the "bottom round". Also, Huskee is right, it is a roast, not a steak. In Swedish, we call a roast a "steak", and a steak a "beef". Just to add to my confusion...

As always, thanks for the great advice. I'll go traditional on this one, just bring it up to rare or medium and slice it thinly.
        MH's Big Bad Beef Rub is excellent on roasts too. I have done a couple rounds "roasts", 2-3 pounders. Dry brined generously anywhere from 2-6 hrs (or more if you have time) and cooked @225 or so to 135*F, sliced thin. Great great stuff. The next day the leftovers are great on a salad, or in a burrito or quesadillas with provolone or mozzarella cheese and some sriracha or other sauce.

Comment

I did a nice save on this one. I don't like to waste good food, so I thought: why not put it through the grinder?

The leftovers:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	21328

Smoked bottom round, after passing through the grinder:

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	21327

Said and done, I ground the meat, fried it with some onion and added some hoisin sauce and cooking cream, and made a nice smoked bolognese. Came out really good.

The bolognese, before adding cooking cream and spices:

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	21329

The end result - smoked bolognese:

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	21326

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here