Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Turned Out Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Turned Out Great

I wasn't planning on smoking a brisket because I haven't done that well with spare ribs and Boston butts yet. I have read many times beef, and brisket in particular, is difficult compared with the various cuts of pig. Last Thursday I was in COSTCO and they were featuring packers cuts of prime grade brisket for $3.29 per. I couldn't resist. I picked out a 12 lb. brisket. It was one of the smaller briskets offered and I really had no idea how to evaluate a packers cut brisket. This was on Thursday night and when I got home there was not room in the fridge or the freezer. Made the decision right then to start smoking it late Friday or early Saturday. Then I began the search to learn about smoking brisket. In the mean time, I put the big chunk of beef in a coleman cooler under ice.

This is how the cook went beginning Friday night:

7pm - Removed meat from package and trimmed fat as per instructions on Aaron Franklin video. Then injected brisket with beef bullion. The bullion was made by my wife from soup bones.

8pm - Applied dalmatian rub over whole brisket.

10pm - Put the beef on the Daniel Boone Smoker at 225° F, fat side down. Did not put bowl of water in smoker because I forgot. Used Texas Blend pellets from Green Mountain.

3am - Woke up and checked the smoker. Things looked OK and I applied a spray of beef bullion to top side of brisket.

6am - Took brisket off smoker and double wrapped with aluminium foil, as per the infamous "Texas Crutch." Sprayed the brisket with beef bullion and poured a bit of the bullion in the bottom of the foil to assure moisture before finishing the wrapping. Put beef back on smoker and inserted internal temperature probe. Internal temp showed to be about 165° F

7am - Checked smoker and low pellet alarm went off, so I refilled hopper half way full. Checked brisket and internal temp showed to be about 187° F.

8am - Checked brisket and internal temp of brisket showed to be about 198° F.

9am - Checked brisket and internal temp of brisket showed to be about 200° F.

9:30am - Checked brisket and internal temp of brisket showed to be about 200° F. I got impatient at this and took brisket off grill an put in compact coleman cooler (faux cambro).

Noon - Took brisket out of aluminium wrapping, being careful to save the au jus. Then separated flat from the point. Sliced the flat meat and chopped up the point for two wonderful presentations of delicious beef brisket.

Nothing to it, simple as that.
    Last edited by Chas Martel; August 23, 2016, 03:23 PM.

Great breakdown of the timeline. Congratulations! Just, next time, have a photographer on hand . Please.

Comment

Wow Bonus points for the Home made beef bullion! Great choice with the Texas Blend pellets they seem to put out a great smoke flavor. Were you checking if it was probe tender or just shooting for a certain internal temp? It took me forever to understand that the brisket was done when it was done?? I'm a temp guy its done when it hits 203. nope its done when the probe slides in and out like a hot knife through butter! May be as early as 195 or as late as 205. So I overcooked a few briskets before I realize that. (I'm most likely the only one, who went strictly by internal temp but thought I would pass that on)

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no, I was stuck on "it must be 203" for a while. Turned out some seriously dry brisket until I got it figured out

GadjetGriller

My first one was a Prime flat that got smoked with 6 racks of beef back ribs (told wife to buy a couple racks, she didn't realize they came 2/pack, so she bought 3 packs!) crammed on a COS.

I injected (the walls, the ceiling, my eyes, some in the brisket) wrapped at 160, took to 203 internal, rested, seared for bark before serving. THE DRIEST brisket you ever saw in your freaking life. That dude was so done at 190-195ish. Edible, but horribly dry. Uggh, I can still see that dry crap while slicing.

Chas Martel congrats on a great cook!!!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Hmmm...
          Attached Files

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed, it didn't happen if you don't have pics.

Yeah, everyone thinks their first is great, until they have a couple of dozen behind them.

Comment

GadjetGriller I was trying for 203° F internal temp. I tried the the probe at about 9am, a half an hour before I removed from smoker. I really didn't know what I was doing and I was not confident about what I was feeling. The probe did seem to slide in like a hot knife through butter on the point end. It was not as easy going in at the flat, but not that tough either. Next time I'll start with the probe earlier to see how the probe feel progresses through the cook. It's comments like your I was hoping to get to point out where I was on the edge. I knew I got somewhat lucky on this first one. Thanks much for you comments, and also to the rest of the commentators.

Comment

i love a success story

Comment

I reposted this on a new thread. It was a report of my 2nd effort at brisket.

My second Brisket turned out as good as as the first. Both were very good in my opinion, but probably not excellent when compared to the pros. I didn't change
                Last edited by Chas Martel; September 7, 2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here