Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra Low and Slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra Low and Slow!

Just done a 3 Kg rolled and tied joint of top rump of beef at 167F for 6 1/2 hrs on my Weber kettle with a smokenator. I covered it in a thick crust of Montreal Steak rub to prevent drying out. I did not use the Smokenator water bath. I put the thickest end of the joint closest to the fire. It turned out medium rare at the thick end and rare at the thin end.
    i swear to god it was as tender, moist and melt in the mouth as forerib on the bone. I will definitely be doing it again!

pictures.................................?

Comment

Sorry mate, to get a picture now would require a Gastroscopy! Definitely next time tho'.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Uh-oh ... let's hope this doesn't give Jerod Broussard any ideas ... ...

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm working on it. Thermoworks is really slacking in this department.

Wow, that is ultra low and slow. I've never even thought of doing this. Nice Work.

Comment

To control the temperature, I cleaned the joint between kettle and lid to really reduce air leakage and did the felt tip marker trick on the bottom vent so that I knew when the vent was about 1/8th open. I used a Maverick ET-732 to monitor temp. The fluctuation was never greater than 5 F. Smokenators come in for some slating these days due to the appearance of the Slow 'n Sear but they still do a great job. My kettle is a 2001 Weber one touch Platinum with the table.

Comment

We recommend you DON'T cook at temps below 200 F for food safety reasons.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was pretty sure this was coming.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep... was going to say.

Although I grant you E.Coli and Salmonella can only be discounted at 160F/70C
          I bet there is a lot of discussion to be had re: the temperatures quoted in this chart from Safaribooks online.

Comment

Glad it came out for you. The Old Man put Montreal on everything.
            I didn't totally understand this sentence: "Smokenators come in for some slating these days due to the appearance of the Slow 'n Sear ..."
            What did you mean by "Some slating" ???

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Queen's English for "Harsh criticism." e.g. Sous vide burgers get lating from people who have never had them.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here