Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Webber Kettle / Slow n Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast on the Webber Kettle / Slow n Sear

Saturday night I bought the biggest chuck roast in the store which was 3.45 lbs. It was from Whole Foods at $8/lb but pretty well trimmed...will have to get less costly chuck to see if Whole Foods prices are worth it.

I made a batch of Meatheads Big Bad Beef with slightly less cayenne. Applied it liberally to the roast so it was on over night for a late sunday morning cook.

Got my webber going for low and slow and put the meat on at 11am. It was on the counter for an hour to come to room temp prior to cooking.

At around 1pm we had to leave for a party and got back at 5pm. I was a little worried the roast may have over cooked but I was conservative about my vents, both top and bottom were barely open.

Took the temp of the meat and it was 151 degrees. I worried a little because we were gonna eat dinner at 7 and the meat was no where near 200.

I wrapped the roast in foil, added more charcoal and got it hot.

I had all grill vents wide open and left it on for another 30 minutes. Checked temp again and it was 198. Pulled it off and it sat in cambro for about an hour.

This was one of the best pieces of meat I ever had! The rub was perfect, the bark was on point and what I was shooting for when buying the SNS.

Can't wait to do it again, I probably need to get a thermometer to measure the temp of the cooker instead of winging it like I did yesterday..but for now I guess chuck is a little more forgiving than brisket.

Thanks MeatHead!

Attached Files

Tough to beat smoked chuckie roast. One of my favorites for sure. Nice maiden voyage cook!
    Like you mentioned, Grab the Maverick ET-732 for monitoring temps and your all set!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim E View Post
      Tough to beat smoked chuckie roast. One of my favorites for sure. Nice maiden voyage cook!
      Like you mentioned, Grab the Maverick ET-732 for monitoring temps and your all set!
      Another good combo is the Thermoworks Chef Alarm and DOT. You'll need both. The CA is great for pit temps and the DOT is great for meat. The DOT is also quick enough to act as an instant read, which saves you from having to fork out more cash for an instant read thermometer.

Comment

That chuckie looks amazing. Ya done good!

Comment

Thanks David Parrish

Comment

David Parrish The Chef alarm is for measuring the temp of the smoker, to make sure I'm at 225 or desired temp? I just bought a $10 weber thermometer which is working fine for meat

Comment

Yum! looks great!

I bought a 4 bone rack beef plate ribs from Whole Foods. I did't pay attention to the price until sticker shock hit me at checkout. It too was ~ $8 / lb! HEB plate ribs are under $3 / lb... But they were good ribs! Not sure why they're so much more expensive. Maybe it was organic grass fed hippie ribs.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Stevo said "organic grass fed hippie ribs" ??? Yup!!! Outfits like that do a land office business, but they don't get my $$$... I can get really good ribeyes for that price at a real people grocery store.

Originally posted by eric louis View Post
              David Parrish The Chef alarm is for measuring the temp of the smoker, to make sure I'm at 225 or desired temp? I just bought a $10 weber thermometer which is working fine for meat
              The Chef Alarm can measure pit or meat temps with its single probe. It has min and max temp alarms and will also record the lowest and highest temps it reads during a cook. The probe is accurate and very sturdy.

The Weber instant read isn't bad but you should look to upgrade. For a few dollars more there are quicker and more accurate options available. It also can't act as a leave in probe.

Comment

That's pretty good bark considering you let the meat come to room temperature!

Comment

That's one good looking hoC. You might consider taking the meat straight from the fridge to the cooker because cold meat attracts more smoke and flavor.

Comment

Good on ya! Love me some smoked chuckies!! 😎

Comment

Your chuckie looks superb and what a smoke ring!

Comment

Poor man's brisket there.....well, unless it's $8/lb! Lol. Nice cook!

Comment

• RonB
                          RonB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ya might be paying more per lb, but you are buying less with less waste.

• fuzzydaddy
                          fuzzydaddy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Chuckies at Sam's has come down from $4.99 lb to $3.99 lb in my area.

• HorseDoctor
                          HorseDoctor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fareway had nice choice chuck roasts for 2.99/# a couple weeks ago. Stashed a couple in my freezer!

Huskee Yeah I was thinking it's poor mans brisket but I guess not at $8/lb. I will say that it was a damn good piece of meat and I didn't need to trim that steak at all. What's on the grill is exactly how it came from the store - except for the rub of course. Regular price is prob around $5/lb if not on sale...so $8 isn't terrible. The quality from Whole Foods and tenderness is definitely above what I get from most grocery stores. Soon I'll do prime brisket which is $10/lb from the butcher up the block

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's hard to beat a quality piece of beef cooked just right. Sometimes the cost is just irrelevant!

I am a chuckie virgin. Looks like that needs to change. Great looking beef, eric louis

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here