Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Brisket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Brisket...

WHY is is getting done so fast?!
    I need it to be in there for 12-14 hours... right? I cannot seem to get the temp any lower... so what do I do?
    Was planning on eating for dinner, not lunch!

~8 lbs trimmed. I notice this brisket is NOT uniform thickness. Are they all like that?!
    Using A Rec Tec RT-680 wood pellet grill.

Dry brine on Thursday, 4m. Trimmed.
    Wrapped in cling wrap, into fridge.
    Friday, 10:30p… Dry rub (my recipe). Ran out of mine, added Famous Dave Rib Rub to fat cap (underneath). Likely 7-8 pounds trimmed.

Friday, 11:18pm. Rec Tec up to temp(225). A-Maze-n smoke tube(6") with Hickory added.
    Xtreme smoke button on.
    Thermoworks Chef Mate Pro Probe in center of grill, monitoring temp.
    iGrill Mini in mid-point of meat, horizontal. Set to alarm at 150, Connected to iPhone 6.
    Sleep. Plan to crutch at 150. But only if it's taking a long time.

12:08AM
    Smoke is rolling blue and heavy.
    RT shows 215 internal (lowered set to 215 at 11:45p). TW shows 230 internal smoker temp.
    Meat is at 85.
    12:33p
    Reduced set point to 205. 4:30a
    12:37p
    230 smoker, 100 meat.
    4:30a
    Reduced set point to 185. RT shows actual at 215. TW shows it at 223.
    Sleep some more.
    8:00a
    RT at 212. TW 223. Meat at 159.
    Note placement of iGrill Mini meat probe in pics.

Were you calling it done at 159?

I just realized this post was today....... I'm assuming you are still cooking. It will slow down a lot at this point and you can wrap it in foil and a towel and save it for later in a cooler. I don't use a cooler, I use an insulated grocery bag, and it works great.
    Last edited by Steambucket; July 16, 2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment

You're about to hit The Stall. No big deal You're going to be just fine. Besides, if it finishes early you just wrap, towel, and cooler. It'll keep just fine for a long time.

Comment

cool. Thank you for the input. I am still cooking... I was trying to bring the temp down so it will not cook so fast... but the Stall... I forgot about. good deal.
        Should I be monitoring the thickest part or where I have it?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you trying to get a good bark on it or are you just wanting to wrap up somewhere around the stall?

Myself I wouldn't worry about the internal temp I would just watch the bark and let it develop.

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          +1^
          I never wrap or crutch and I always get outstanding results.

Let it roll. Done early is no problem. As stated, just wrap it up & place in a warmed cooler. It's actually good for the brisket and should be part of the overall "cook". Done late, makes for hungry eaters who probably drank too much beer while waiting and won't really appreciate the masterpiece you put in front of them... As far as monitoring, you will learn that monitoring the "feel" of placing the probe (probe tenderness) and the overall flexibility of the brisket are even better indicators of "done" than temp, though temp is often between 195 & 205. That's where a Thermapen instant read thermometer is so handy. You can probe different areas & temp at the same time. Just don't peek & probe too often or you won't be done for dinner. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

12:53 PM
          The thick part is like Buttah when inserting the probe. 190-193 in that area. The thin and the middle are tough and like 167 - 175 in those areas. See photo last posted...
          Leave it longer, or???

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            The thick part is more than likely the fatty point. I would flip it and see what the other side looks like.

Success!

3:05 PM
          Removed from grill, wrapped in Foil and a towel, inserted TW probe and placed in Faux Cambro.
          Temp was 197

6:00 PM
          Removed from Cambro, unwrapped and sliced at 140.
          Wow! Smoke ring was excellent, taste was stellar (though a tad salty).
          The thicker part was very juicy and tender. The thinner was a bit less tender, but still moist and not at all chewy. Very nice mouthfeel and pulled apart perfectly ('perfect' based on video I have seen).
          A couple folks said it was the best brisket they've ever had, and they all said it was better than Wendell's (the local guy that is my hero and measure). I don't think it was all that, but I think that proves it was a success!

Comment

looks good! Sounds like it was as success. Good job!

Comment

Good work! I'm hoping my first one will be that good next Saturday

Comment

Excellent result! Congrats!

Comment

That looks delicious! I hope my first brisket looks as good when I get around to it!

Comment

Your brisket looks awesome. Great bark and smoke ring!

Comment

What fuzzydaddy said..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here