Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Time Beef Short Ribs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Beef Short Ribs???

I got a few racks of these Fred Flintstone ribs last week and plan on cooking this weekend. Meathead's recommended cutting them up into 1 or 2 rib sections. I really lean to cooking the whole rack intact. I think the presentation would be better that way, but i am curious as to what others have done or any other tips for short ribs? Thanks...

I've done beef plate ribs using Aaron Franklin's recipe / process with great success.

Attached Files

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SteveO. That link was great and glad to see that Franklin cooked them whole.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the "Franklin" (or Texas) technique. Great results with plenty of bark! Enjoy!

I've put a couple of cooks up, and I prefer to cook the whole slab whole and treat it like a brisket. I just think I get a more even cook with the larger piece that way. Here's one I did a couple of weeks ago (this is the end of the cook, the short ribs were on for about 8 hours at this point):

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_150609.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	194252

Name:	20160703_160042.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	194251 :

Name:	20160703_155303.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	194250
    Last edited by boftx; July 12, 2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      nice cook boftx!

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks amazing. I may have to change lunch plans and go to a BBQ joint.

Sous Vide those sucker for 48 hours at 140°. Then take them out of your SV bags, blot them dry. Hit them with some beef love, apply some BBBR and put them in your smoker at 225° until you get a nice bark on them.😎
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 13, 2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no desire to wait 48hrs or more. It's hard enough to let it dry brine once I buy it.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx ... There's 330,000,000 American's and we're all a little different.. And that's a good thing.👍

The food served at my house will just be a little different than the food served at your house.🤔

I'm retired and I'm an EXPERT at waiting.😆 That's why I bake bread... It's VERY LOW AND SLOW.😎

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous Vide is not in my arsenal yet. I looked yesterday at Amazon's Prime Day deals and didn't see any super deals. Don't think I would Sous Vide large pieces of meat, but you never know...

If I had my choice I will take the ones that come out of the stickburner. Nicely done boftx

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Stick burners are for young guys... Or insomniac's😆

Just kidding guys... I would buy a KBQ in a New York second if I could convince myself to stay up all night.😳
      Last edited by Breadhead; December 9, 2016, 12:01 PM.

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      KBQ is indeed on my list of things to get🙄. It's not that I need it though. Damm MCS disease...

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      This nice thing about stick burners and beef plate ribs, is that you can sit by your pit and drink beer for 8 hours. Its hard to stand up after that though....

The Beef ribs are on the WCS. Decided to do my own Rub Competition between Meathead's Big Bad Beef rub and Aaron Franklin's hot sauce, salt and pepper. Wonder which one will win? Got my laptop outside kicking tunes to my Marshall bluetooth speaker. Tasty beverages in the cooler.

Name:	IMG_5037.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	195838

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that the weber charcoal summit?

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      That sure is...

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure love my WSCG! Was a great decision on my part to get this cooker.

Well, I beat the storm by about 2 minutes. All turned out really good. Here are a few picts.

Name:	IMG_5025.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	196028 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5044.JPG
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	196029 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	196030

Name:	IMG_5067.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	196031 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5069.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	196032 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5061.JPG
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	196033

Comment

Thanks for making me hungry Fine Swine nice cook

Comment

Oh yeah!!! Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Let me know if I should post more of these???

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              NICE JOB, Fine Swine !!

Reminds of the beginning of Mission Impossible! GREAT

• Gator Lau
              Gator Lau commented
              Editing a comment
              Great video. And I vote yes! Post more.

• johnsteen
              johnsteen commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the video...great job!

Fine Swine great video! Did I miss
            which rub won? Fine Swine
            Last edited by dirtman; December 8, 2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I second that question...

I understand the desire to serve the DINO-ribs, but I've decided to go back to the "short" short rib. Single or double rib sections. I've done these quite a few times now, and for overall finished product, the best were the ones professionally butchered, with the slab cut in half, hand picking the best ones. Quite a bit more expensive that way, as I get deals on the cryovac packages that are significant over trimmed. Maybe just getting them to saw those slabs in half, and letting me trim up the ones I want, how I want, wouldn't cost too much more??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here