Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small 1.5 pound brisket... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small 1.5 pound brisket... how?

I am new to this, so feel free to 'set me straight' if I'm posting out of turn, etc. I did a search, but found nothing about a small brisket... so here goes....
    I buy my beef from a local farmer. It's grass fed, grass finished and butcher-aged. Included in my 1/4 cow was a Brisket... but it's 1.5 pounds!
    I've read how to prep a 8-13 pound brisket, but something this small... how the heck do I do it? What should I expect?
    It's 1:Pm now... can I grill tonight and expect it to be excellent?
    I have a Rec Tec 680, and 4 cooks with it under my belt. I have Meathead's book, and have read most of it. I'm still a greenhorn, and need some direction here. I don't want to ruin the brisket, even though it's small.

Any suggestions or help here?
    TIA.

Welcome Techmaster

Comment

I'd prep the same as any other hunk of beef like that: dry brine for as long as you can and season as desired. As for the cook, don't let the small weight fool you, the thickness will come into play when it comes to getting it all the way to probe tender. I'd start checking for that around 185F or so, but it could need to go all the to 200 - 205F.

It should get to around 140 - 150F fairly quickly, under 2 hours, but then it *might* hit a stall or at least slow down. I wouldn't be surprised by a 3 - 4 hour cook depending on what your cooking temp is.

Keep in mind that a slab of beef short ribs can take 8 hours or more, so 4 - 6 hours for this might be reasonable depending upon temps and meat thickness.

Comment

A pound and a half? At this point I would just grind it up for hamburger or corn it and turn it into pastrami.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          If it has a reasonable thickness it might make for a good practice run just to get used to the cooking curve for a hunk like that to reach probe tender.

is it just part of a flat or a point? did it come off a calf? did the farmer keep the rest of it for himself? pics would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
          is it just part of a flat or a point? did it come off a calf? did the farmer keep the rest of it for himself? pics would be nice
          I'm thinking it might be a pygmy.

Comment

I'm so new to this... so... this is a point, right? Any advice now that pics are here?

Comment

well it's like half a point. he must have cut off the thinner parts thinking you wanted to make it a roast or...something. it looks like he left a lot of fat on there too. there won't be much meat on that thing when you eliminate some of that fat

i would follow Craigar 's advice. a piece like that won't give you something that would make it worth your efforts of low and slow.

unless you add more meat and make it part of a collection.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I may just trim it and grind it and make burgers... I have Deer steaks (backstops) that I'm grilling tonight (on my new Grill Grates), so it will likely keep the stress low and make the eats good.
                I appreciate the responses. What a great group!

Comment

BTW welcome Techmaster to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome Techmaster. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

That's like a Brisket Snack. If it weren't for the fat I see I would say cook it and wrap it around 160 degrees just like any other brisket. Just know that it would only make one or maybe 2 servings.

All jokes aside that's a bit disappointing that would be the piece they give you depending on the price.

Comment

Looks like the butcher is making up their own specs on meat cuts. That certainly isn't a Whole brisket by any US commercial standards. Trim it severely, grind it into about 2 hamburgers. Can always render the extra fat to paint your venison steaks with. That works great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here