Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mislabeled brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mislabeled brisket?

Since I joined the Pit, I've been checking the meat cooler every time I go in a grocery store. The store I normally shot in only carries flats, and at almost $8/lb. So today I looked, and they had "whole packers" at the same price. However, the whole packers were 5 - 8 lbs. They had a fat cap, but were cut into rectangles and I could not see a fat layer between the flat and point. Would this be a point?

Hard to tell without a pic, but is sounds like it's pieces of a packer brisket.

Woa, that's expensive! Walmart has briskets for $1.97 a pound, choice and select. So, on the Gulf Coast you have cheap beef and SUPER HIGH HUMIDITY!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx - I will have to take a closer look next time I'm in WM.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      That is one expensive cut of brisket. I suspect what your market has done is cut the point and the part of the flat that lies directly underneath and wrapped that and then also wrapped the remaining flat. I see these cuts in the Sam's Clubs here in OKC for about 4 times the price as a packer.

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here 1.97 a pound all day for choice at Walmart, Sams only select.

Some of the Walmarts around here carry packers and some don't (there are at least 12 Walmarts within 25 miles of where I live). There is a way to figure out which one(s) have packers. Go to their website and sign-up for their "grocery" application. Search for brisket, and then pretend to buy (but don't actually complete the purchase). Look where they tell you that you can go to pick up your purchase, and head over to the nearest one. That way you can look over their offerings, and I've found that more likely than not they will be excel choice packers sometimes mixed with select and occasionally only select.

Comment

There is still some fat cap to be had with a flat.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 7, 2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Thanx all for the comments. Since it's not possible for me to identify what they are selling, I'm passing on on their HO?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here