Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st brisket in a LONG time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st brisket in a LONG time

Found some packers at the local grocery store for $2.49/lb. That is the cheapest I have seen in 5 years. I dont go to costco, Sams or restaurant depot, because there isnt any on my way home from work. 1 is in the freezer and the other is trimmed and salted in the fridge getting ready for friday. Going with a modified BBBR spiked with Habenero powder. Planning on 5 to 6 hrs of oak/ black cherry smoke on the warthog then wrapped and finished overnight in the electric at 215 and 1/2 hour on the grill to stiffen up the bark.
    Last edited by rat88; July 7, 2016, 08:12 PM.

Keep us posted with beautiful pictures!!

Comment

I plan on it. not much to show tonight, just salty trimmed beef. i do have a few tricks i will share during the cook.

Comment

Here are the pics and tips promised earlier. You guys that "do it by the book" are gonna F-n-S.
        For starters.. my starter wood got wet, not rained on FLOATING. Even after split in thin pieces, it was a pain in the a$$ to get started. I put the hunk on when the box temp was 150 (1st WTF) and smoking like a tire fire (#2). It took an hour and a half to get to 225. I trimmed ALL the fat off the outside (#3) and if I can control the fire +/- 75 degrees, I am happy as hell (#4). The fat goes on a rack over a pan on the hot side, right next to the water pan I filled from a gallon jug I pulled out of the FRIDGE (#5) The rendered fat/ rub combo will be injected into the flat when it goes into the electric to simmer for the night.
        I am not raising the BS flag on anything that is taken to be gospel here. My point is some people stress over trying to do everything perfect, It is just heat and meat. I have been doing this for over 20 years and really dont think I fit the "pitmaster" title that everyone strives for.. but i can cook some bada$$ BBQ

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          "Badass BBQ" is all that matters

That aint TBS and my door seals leak OMFG!!! (#6 #7).. and I aint using an Maverick!!! ( its a 14 hour cook(#8))
        Last edited by rat88; July 8, 2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

My goal is to do 15 things wrong. I am watching baseball and drinking alot of beer. I will check on the fire when I have to P. (#9 and possibly #10)
          Last edited by rat88; July 8, 2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Aw crap. Temp went to 150 while I was in the house eating KFC. (#11) loaded 3 splits and 2 hand fulls of dollar store briquettes(#12). This is gonna be easy to hit 15 screwups.

Comment

• CeramicChef
              CeramicChef commented
              Editing a comment
              rat88 - your first error was eating KFC!

Now its 325 and smoking like an old lady at a bingo hall(#13)

Comment

5hrs in I opened the lid to rotate my my fat.... and no I aint twerking

Comment

Call the cops.. I flipped my Brisket ... and the bark was FN T A S T A Y!!!!(#14)

Comment

Down to 175. 2 splits of maple, Dont feel like cutting 1/2 slab of cherry
                  Kc is getting beat 3-1 still drinking beer
                  Last edited by rat88; July 8, 2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

For those that are keeping track... yeah I am cooking on a glass lined water heater tank. ( sht there goes another one(#15). I cranked the box temp to 900 degrees. that will set everything and 350 wont even make it blush

Comment

142 fat to flat. Looking good

Comment

I admire a man that does it his way... You're the Frank Sinatra of BBQ! Cook on my friend.👍

Comment

• boftx
                          boftx commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think I would have used that comparison.

• Breadhead
                          Breadhead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you boftx ... There's 330,000,000 Americans and we're all a little different.😎

No offense intended to either you or Ratt88.👍
                          Last edited by Breadhead; July 8, 2016, 10:18 PM.

A few nice fellows stopped by to help me cook. Actually I forgot I was cooking. Pit temp is 175 and my BID pressure is 26/30. Juicing/ wrapping and time for a nap

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here