Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - 2 briskets, 1 smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - 2 briskets, 1 smoker

...far better than 2 girls, 1 cup!

I posted this in the general "techniques" section dealing with smoking 2 hunks of meat at once, but given that I'm set to pick up the meat tomorrow morning, that I'd repost it here, in case someone missed the initial question.

Quick version: want to know if it's possible to smoke 2 briskets at the same time on a large BGE, if you can get the one brisket far enough above the other to permit decent air flow. Thanks in advance!

Hi, all.
    Having a crowd over this weekend and Texas brisket is on the agenda. I need a massive, 15-16 pounder to feed this crowd. Unfortunately, I'm told by my butcher that this year, the beef market has been terrible, with the result that cows are being slaughtered younger with consequently, smaller briskets. No way, no how am I going to get my hands on a slab of meat like I want.
    I'm working on a large BGE and I have a "second grill" insert that, on its own, makes a shelf about 3-4" above the other grill. My butcher has floated the idea of doing two 8 pounders, one over the other.
    My working assumption is that as it stands, there won't be enough airflow between the two levels to make it a viable proposition. Question: if I raise the second grill up with a good solid brick or two, giving it a good 6-8" above the primary grill, would this allow for enough airflow to make doing the two briskets doable?
    In a bit of a planning bind, guys- thanks in advance.

I have done 2 briskets at once on my Kamado Joe just the way you described. It worked great, I switched positions halfway thru because the top brisket bastes the bottom brisket.

Comment

Awesome- thanks, Steevo!

Comment

Steve/Big Green... Welcome to The Pit! When you have a chance take a few minutes to read my welcome letter as well as tips on how to use The Pit. They can be found in the Welcome and Announcements Channel. In particular, check out my tip #1 on signature creation and tip #4 on pic uploading. Tip #4 will help display your pics in a larger format that's viewable in the thread itself (though admittedly photos are a little buggy right now). As you can see we're a small but growing community. The more information and love you put in the more interest we'll get from fellow Pit members. Before you know it we'll have a BBQ wiki bounty of information for everyone to review, improve, share, and use. I look forward to your input!

Comment

The non-food-grade-brick technique worked shockingly well. I made a point of getting two briskets that we're vaguely the same shape an weight, and they were done within a half-hour of each other. Aimed for a window of being done 2-3 hours before serving, 225F for 6 hours (I had the time and I love the bark), crutched them for another two hours to 190F internal, uncrutched them, cranked up the heat and gave it another hour to 203F internal, and then 2 hrs in the faux cambro. Rubbed it with Dalmatian spice only. Succulent, toothsome, meltingly, blissfully good brisket. Lord knows I've screwed up enough briskets, even in the last year. This was, if I do say so myself, absolutely perfect, unimprovable Central Texas brisket. 50 people for dinner with fish tacos, 10 lbs of homemade sausage, and a shit-ton of sides. We were out of brisket in 35 minutes. Thanks for the assist guys- really really appreciated.

Comment

Great to hear Matt. Hard to beat a smoked brisket that has been kissed by 225 heat for an extended period of time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here