Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Point

My google-fu skills are lacking and advanced searches on the Pit have netted a goose egg. I can't seem to find info specific to just smoking a brisket point. I haven't done brisket yet so I decided to take baby steps and cut my brisket teeth with the point I'm planning ahead for next weekend. My LGS butcher is going to have a 3-5 lb brisket point ready next Saturday. Should I simply follow Meathead's brisket instructions to the T or are there tricks that should be followed for just the point? I'll be smoking the point on my Weber Performer with the SnS.
    Last edited by 7x57mm; July 3, 2016, 01:17 PM.

Just follow the steps for a brisket, and be aware that cooking time will be shorter for the smaller piece. As long as you have good temp control and a good thermometer you'll be fine.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +1^ what boftx said. I would check it for probe softness as early as 190°. Points have more fat and can finish sooner than a flat.

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Breadhead; once I have the point wrapped in foil, I will be mindful to start checking at 190.

Thanks boftx; MH methodology it is!

Comment

On a whole packer the point is always ahead of the flat in temp and probe tenderness.

Comment

Roger that jharner!

Comment

I disagree with some of the above. In my experiences, the point takes longer to come to temp. However in this context it's a moot point though (<---ha ha, pun) since you're only cooking one hunk. Follow the brisket article, you'll do great! I do agree though that it likely wont need 203. I'd say 195 is likely all you'll need.

Comment

• 7x57mm
            7x57mm commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the quality of moot point in between a choice and prime? Thanks for the info Huskee! I'm looking forward to this cook. While I love ribs and pork butt, brisket is my favorite.

I picked up my brisket point yesterday after work. I'll get some trimming done and have it dry brining shortly. One (more) question I have regarding the stall: when you wrap the brisket, do you leave the meat thermometer in or remove? If the probe should be removed, how should you probe for temp....through the foil with an instant read or open the Al foil, probe and then rewrap?

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I leave my probe in... During and after the cook when it goes in the cambro.

• 7x57mm
            7x57mm commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Breadhead!

Pre-game day prep I just opened my point and the butcher left me a 13.5 ounce flap of meat. Should this be included in the cook or braised off on another day?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the Pit masters reward for slaving over a hot smoker all day!! it could be done in as little as 90 min to 2 hours (because its so small) So bring your Beverage of choice and sneak a little early!!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Trim it off and save it. When you have enough fat stored up render it down to a liquid form. Let it cool to room temperature and pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Take the cubes out of the tray and put them in a freezer bag. Then you have beef love on demand.👍

• 7x57mm
            7x57mm commented
            Editing a comment
            Roger that

7x57mm I leave the probe in for the whole cook. I take it out when wrapping then just reinsert it through the Foil. I have a cheap knock off instant read thermometer that I use to double check when the Maverick says its hit temp. Then I can not only check the temp but the tenderness (in and out like butter!) Enjoy the Point (its my favorite part of the Brisket!! although Chopped Beef sandwiches (made from the flat on day 2 after the cook) are up there as well!!)

Comment

Cook it up! The key is to render the fat you have all the way. It will still take several hours. If the bark gets dark and you fear it's drying out, wrap it in foil to give that fat on the outside and inside a chance to render to that beautiful perfection.

Point is so great - it's why I cook brisket!

Comment

I'm 5.75 hours into the point cook. Meat probe reads 295 in the point. Instant read says 192 in point and 185 in the thinner section (assuming part of the flat...see pics above). Since I've never cooked a brisket of any type before, I'm not sure if the meat is probe tender...hard to tell going through two layers of Al foil with the instant read...seems tender but not "budda". I'm going to give it 20 more minutes and check again.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you're wise to wait for that budda softness... Cook on!

Hi Breadhead, we'll just have to see how this will all turn out! I pulled the point when it read 195 with the instant read and put it into the cambro. This is my maiden brisket voyage and lessons have been learned...and yet to be learned I'll open the Al foil vessel once the point reads 145 degrees. I guarantee the garlic mashed and veggies will be spot on I love weekends and BBQ.

Comment

7x57mm ...

195° is a common number for points to be finished. I think you're going to be very happy. One or 2 more brisket cooks and it will be just another routine cook. They just seem scary until you've done a few. For me pork butts and briskets are the same routine cook. They cook at the exact same temperature and they take about the same amount of time.
                The prep work is a little different is all.

Next time... Make some burnt ends. That's the Caviar of BBQ in my opinion.😜

Comment

Next go around, I'll do a small packer...what they charge for just the point...I will get twice the meat for the same price! And, burnt ends will be on the menu

Comment

7x57mm ...

I agree. A full packer is the best value. It's like getting the flat for free. I usually separate the point from the flat and cook them separately. More bark, more better. Plus the point usually finishes sooner than the flat, depending on where you put them in your cooker. That way you can pull the point and cut it into cubes coat them with some sauce and put them back in your cooker while the flat is finishing up.👌

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here