Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First whole brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First whole brisket

Well, I am going to attempt my first whole brisket tomorrow in my propane smoker. I'm going to hang it on PBC hooks that I bought last year to hang ribs. It's only select and has a weird "bald spot" on the fat cap side over where the point area is. Does anybody know that that is?

Anyway, I have salted it and put it in the fridge - not far enough in advance, really, but the best I could do under the circumstances. My plan is to get up around 3 am and get it started. I made a fresh batch of BBBR with cumin to rub it with.

Here are a couple of pics after I trimmed it up and salted it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProShot_20160702_134230-01.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	189260

Name:	ProShot_20160702_134124-01.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	189261

Could have been a very urgent trim job or some sort of lesion on the skin that had to be trimmed way down.

Comment

Thanks, Jerod Broussard . Another question: what smoke wood do you use for brisket? I usually use oak for beef but can't get it where I am this weekend.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 2, 2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I've used red oak, cherry, hickory, never could tell a difference. It is minor to the salt, bark/rub, beef flavor, etc....

Brisket went on the smoker at 4:35 a.m. Here's a pick of it rubbed with the hooks in place:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_042625-01.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	189465

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Now THAT's how a prepped brisket should look. As Huskee said on another topic, only folks like us are impressed with a piece raw meat. It's just going to get prettier and prettier. Good luck!

Woo hoo! Few things are more exciting that brisket cooking day.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Can't say I haven't enjoyed many NON-brisket cook days and watching others cook it up.

True dat.

Comment

Brisket Day!!

Comment

8:45 into the cook and the IT is 167°F. The cooker spent most of that time right around 235°F. It started to rise a little bit ago when the water in the pan was nearly gone so I added more. It's now around 240°F. It stalled around 152° for 2+ hours. When it hits 170° or 175°, depending on the bark (which seems mostly set now), I will wrap it and finish it in the indoor oven, then faux cambro until time to serve which will be around 9:00 pm tonight

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a plan.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard do you have any suggestions for how to store and use leftovers? I have a good sized piece of the point end left.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; July 3, 2016, 09:03 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 You can cube up or slice and refrigerate or vacuum seal and freeze. Point does really well reheated.

OK, I wrapped at 171ºF and put it in an oven set to 225º which is actually running between 235º and 250º. It lost about 4º of IT during the process of wrapping and putting it in the oven. It's now up to 190º. Here are some picks:

Here's the meat side:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_143155-01.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	189689

And the fat cap side:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_143042-01.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	189691

And wrapped:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_143517-01.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	189692
          Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            That's some bark you got there! Well done!

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I just did my first tenderness probe at 199º. Getting there, but not quite. Now up to 201º

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice bark! That will be quite tasty. Kudos!

Pulled it at 205°. I put it in the faux 'bro where it will get a very nice 3 hour nap.

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

It came out reallt good. Details and pix later.

Comment

Let's see pics of the slices.

Comment

OK, so here are the pics! It got a full 3 hours in the faux 'bro and was still at or near 180ºF when I pulled it out to slice it. There were 2-3 cups (I didn't measure) of delicious jus in the foil which I captured. The flat was pretty dry, but the jus made it delicious. The point, to my taste (and that of my other diners) was fabulous. The bark got a tad mushy, particularly on the fat cap side which was facing down in the foil, but it was very tasty. I got at least one compliment from someone who at least knew it was called bark. I made crispy roasted garlic/rosemary baby Yukon Gold potatoes which were spot on.

Here are a few pics:

This is the meat side, showing the bark after coming out of the faux 'bro:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_210801-01.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	189915

Here are a couple of pictures of slices from the point area:

Name:	ProShot_20160703_211402-01.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	189916

Name:	ProShot_20160703_211610-01.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	189917

Comment

• CeramicChef
                    CeramicChef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anyone besides me don't see the pictures in the post, but clicking on the barred area brings them up?

Dewesq55 - it all looks quite tasty! Kudos to ya!

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ditto that CeramicChef on my end as well. Edit to add: I just posted this issue in the post migration issues thread.

Dewesq55 the pic of the whole brisket just might become my laptop's background it's so awesome.
                    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 4, 2016, 11:54 AM.

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes. Even I see that. I'm not sure why but it has been happening recently. I have a very slow internet connection here at my vacay home so that might have something to do with it.

Nice work Dewesq55, it looks really juicy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here