Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falling apart Brisket tastes great - but slices don't hold together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling apart Brisket tastes great - but slices don't hold together

I've been doing briskets (full packers) on my Primo with great results as far a taste, but I never seem to be able to get the classic "slices" that hold together. To get any substantial slices, I typically have to slice them thicker than normal. The taste is great, so no complaints from anyone, but I would like to get the slices to hold together.

I follow the http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html recipe and cook on my Primo with a CyberQ to keep the temp at 225.

I generally start around 11pm and let it go overnight. Typically that results in being somewhere north of 150 when I get up, either in the stall or close to it. I've tried foiling at that point and not foiling, doesn't seem to make much difference.

When it gets to temp, I've tried faux cambro for at most 1 - 2 hours, and I've tried taking it pretty much right off the grill.

Any thoughts? Meat grade has been prime and select? (the next level down).

I've got another full packer to go on the grill tonight / tomorrow for Sunday dinner, so just curious if there is anything else I should try.

Thanks.

Over-done brisket does that. I think you mean Prime and Choice.

If I get one like that I will change the angle I am slicing and go with the grain somewhat and it makes a big difference.

Are you checking for probe tenderness or just cooking to a specific internal temp?

Comment

+1^

Rather than cook to temp, why not try cooking to tenderness. I use either metal or bamboo skewers to probe my butts, briskets, etc. after about 190-195F. The probe should slide in like knife into warm butter. I've found that cooking to temp tends to be suboptimal because briskets, butts, etc. don't know 185F from 235F! Probe tender always works for me.

All the best to your on your pending brisket cook! Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Cooking to temp is what I've been doing. I'll definitely try the probe tenderness approach, and Jerod, you're correct, Choice was the other grade.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Start checking around 190.

As I have said many times. This site taught me to monitor temps but cook brisket to PROBE tenderness

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here