Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on slowing the brisket cook down for a few hours

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for advice on slowing the brisket cook down for a few hours

    Good day
    Let me start off by saying that thanks to this page, I have learned and used the Wozniak method of serving later somewhat successfully in the past. But given my current circumstances, I am thinking of trying something else and would love advice, suggestions or warnings of things I have not foreseen.
    -
    I am smoking a brisket for a large gathering on Saturday night. In the past, the brisket went on the BGE late Friday, was taken off late Saturday morning or early afternoon and put in cooler until ready. However, this Saturday morning I will be away from home for several hours and not return until early afternoon. This is the time frame where the brisket usually comes off and goes to the cooler.
    Going over my options, my current thought is to put it on late Friday night as usual - then early Saturday morning, take it off and put it in the oven at about 175 or 200 degrees (at this time the brisket should be out of the stall and wrapped in butcher paper). The thought (hope) is that the internal temp will rise much slower and still be below 200 when I get home. I can then up the temp and have the brisket done in plenty of time.

    If not this method, I will just cook it early and reheat (Wozniak method) but in my mind, this slow down in the oven might work out best.

    Are there problems or concerns that I might be missing ???
    Thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
    ​
    Last edited by fluffy; September 25, 2026, 03:30 PM.

    #2
    Do you inject? My injected briskets and shoulders take significantly longer than uninjected.

    Comment


    • fluffy
      fluffy commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to inject but have not done so in several years and am not sure I can find the Spitjack I previously used.

    #3
    Sounds like it will work.
    I have turned down temps on my last cook of country style ribs. Had to leave for a couple hours, and came back to from being 192 IT to 185 IT. Turned up the heat and finished them.
    I had the electric smoker set at 185...

    Comment


      #4
      I think going in the oven is the right choice. If your oven can hold 200, then the meat can't get any hotter than the oven... If your oven allows you to punch in the actual number, put it at like 185, so that the normal oscillation as the range cycles won't kick it over 200. After all that time in the smoker, it won't need anything but heat, and it'll be wrapped to boot. Absolutely what I'd do.

      Comment


      • Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with DaveD. My oven doesn’t do well set at 185 F but does just fine at 200 F.

      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

    Announcement

    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    0
    Guest
    Guest
    500
    ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
    7