Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Style Wagyu Beef Chuck Ribs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    American Style Wagyu Beef Chuck Ribs

    HEB grocery store has "American Style Wagyu Beef Chuck Ribs" on sale for $7.99 a pound. These are boneless chunks of beef & I've never cooked this cut before. Does anyone have suggestions on the methods to cook 'em: smoking, grilling, time, etc? Thanks for your help!

    ​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	93
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	1886357​

    #2
    Color me skeptical. Those aren't ribs, and they sure don't look very marbled to be calling them Wagyu.

    Prolly similar to the way to do 'country style ribs' with pork, which is just pork shoulder cut into strips so they can call it ribs and charge more for it. Not anything special or really even particularly great, if you ask me.

    Not sure what cut those are from, but if they're calling them chuck ribs, it's somewhere out of the chuck roll or even part of a chuck roast. But again - they don't look very 'wagyu' to me. lol


    <edit> As for cooking, just from looking at them, I'd be grilling them hot and like a steak probably. Sear hard to medium rare, maybe cut 'em up like steak bites or something. Doing them low and slow (like 'ribs') I'd be worried those might dry out, as they don't look to have a lot of fat.

    Comment


    • smabrito
      smabrito commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion. If these are this lean looking once I've seen them in person, I probably will pass but I do like texastweeter's idea to use as chili meat.

    #3
    ATK video might help:

    Comment


    • smabrito
      smabrito commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the video! The meat in the video looks great....and actually marbled. HEB does this kind of questionable marketing regularly.

    #4
    I like them smoked then braised with a red wine sauce over grits. They also grind into a great burger, or make a good TX Red.

    Comment


    • Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now you're making me hungry.

    • smabrito
      smabrito commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I like your suggestions!

    #5
    What exactly does “American Style” indicate? I get suspicious whenever I hear “style” when used to promote something.

    Comment


    • smabrito
      smabrito commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

    • Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      The daughter has three half wagyu cows. Their calves are good but not worth any kind of a premium. I realize that makes the calves 1/4 wagyu but it doesn’t mean anything here. They just bought 3 steers that are half wagyu for show steers. They didn’t have to give any more than market for them. The Wagyu thing out here is losing momentum.

    • texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oak Smoke same here.

    #6
    No such thing as a free lunch always comes to mind - $7.99/lb isn't gonna get you far with beef these days. Sounds like BS marketing.

    Comment


      #7
      I'm gonna say that's chuck roast cut into strips. Depending on how they look in person might be choice or prime from a fat grain perspective. At $8 a pound that ain't a bad chuck roast price at those grades in today's market.

      Comment


      • Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me to it Bob. That’s what it is.

      #8
      I think current marketing calls strips of chuck cut to more or less resemble a rib "boneless ribs" or "country style beef ribs". We used to be able to get actual boneless chuck ribs from some places. These were nice meaty and well marbled chunks like our picture from 2022. Note the obvious shadow of where the ribs were cut away. Local market sold them as boneless chuck ribs while on line they were called chuck flap, or chuck edge. These have pretty much disappeared from the marketplace probably (my assumption) because the meat is the same as what is now called Denver steak.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1886664

      Comment


        #9
        the word Style in the name is the disclaimer IMHO.
        ​

        Comment

        Announcement

        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        0
        Guest
        Guest
        500
        ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
        7