Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Tri-tip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    California Tri-tip

    I love cooking tri-tip and picanha, both cuts off the sirloin of the cow. California bbq cooks championed and originated the tri-tip cut in Santa Maria. I've written about and championed this cut several times. For those who live in the great state of California, top block is the original cut of beef from the sirloin that the tri-tip is most closely associated with. Like our shoulder clod here in Texas, its a big piece of meat. In this video they break one down into huge steaks that they grill on a Santa Maria pit with a tri-tip. Man, this only goes to show that good bbq cooked well over live fire is universally excellent no matter where its from. Hope you enjoy the video.


    #2
    What a great video. I really enjoyed that. Although I often do cook tri-tip over red oak on my Santa Maria grill, I've never heard of the Top Block cut and now I want to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    Comment


      #3
      Great Video. I have seen a number of his YT videos. I love Tri Tip. I do a reverse sear with a chunk of oak on my Kettle with the SnS. I never saw Tri Tip for sale until I moved to DFW. Thanks for posting

      Comment


        #4
        This is one of the shows the Tastemade network keeps showing. Pat Martin of Martin's BBQ on a road trip. Enjoyable episode, and learned a lot from watching these!

        Thanks for posting.

        Comment


          #5
          I just watched that show last week. I enjoyed it and realized, I've never seen the entire cut as a clod until that show.

          great to see you pop back in,

          Comment


            #6
            Started eating TT back in the 70's when I would visit my best friend up at San Luis Obispo when he was attending college at Cal Poly. SLO is just up the road from Santa Maria and Pismo Beach. Been making it ever since and make my own Santa Maria rub. When you go up and visit the area (SLO, SM, PB, Solvang, etc.), all the city parks have large Santa Maria grills for community events. Califorian's love to call it BBQ, but I don't know. Live fire grilling is a better description.

            Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

            Comment


            • Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting you made comment on calling it "bbq". If you go back to the origins of the name you'll find that in the Caribbean roots the indigenous Arawak and Taíno people used the term 'barbacoa' for wooden structures utilized for cooking, smoking, and storing food. That said bbq is really more akin to live fire grilling than it is to low and slow smoking. Fun fact !!

            • TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Californians will call grilling burgers and hot dogs BBQ. It is just a general term to us for grilling outside. Nothing to do with with any indigenous people or influence. Also, a “top block” cut is nonexistent here, as a shoulder clod is in Texas. Oh, you may find it, but no restaurant serves it in SM or SLO. They took the best part from it, the TT and Picanha.

            #7
            Great video. Thanks for posting that...

            Comment


              #8
              I enjoy watching Pat Martin's videos on the weekends, they are all really good. Thank you for sharing this one.

              Comment


                #9
                Excellent video. Would definitely like to give their cook a try on my Santa Maria but hesitant because trying to explain exactly what a “Top Block” cut is to an East Coast butcher probably won’t end in the desired cut of meat. Who knows what I’d receive? Anyone know the cut’s number?

                Comment


                • Ace
                  Ace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Donw
                  Hope this helps. Internet says:
                  The beef top sirloin "mouse muscle" (anatomically known as the gluteus accessorius) is a small, oblong-shaped lean cut weighing about half a pound that sits between the top sirloin center cut and the hip bone.

                  Also, here is a video of a top sirloin being broken down that shows where the mouse muscle is. Check around the 3:15 mark.
                  Last edited by Ace; September 14, 2026, 04:31 PM.

                • rodkeary
                  rodkeary commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In some jurisdictions it is known as “bottom sirloin”.

                • Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or you can just buy half a steer and butcher your own .....

                #10
                I always learn something every time I have to go to the “Beef its what for dinner” website to look up new cuts I read about on the Pit.

                Comment


                  #11
                  Watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it. Especially seeing the steak of the three cuts. Now to see who here can actually find this specific Top Block cut! 😂 it sure looked good!

                  Comment


                  • Donw
                    Donw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So far as I can tell both Costco and Sam’s Club come close but both have removed the Picanha in what they are selling.

                  #12
                  The video encouraged me to use my SM attachment on my PK360. Burned Oak down to coals. 2.1 lb. TT, trimmed. Rubbed with my SM and all-purpose rub and mopped with a mustard/wine/vinegar sauce. Fun little cook. Pulled at 130d internal temp., rested and cut at 135d. Perfectly cooked (for me).

                  Thanks again for posting Troutman.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004719.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1887436

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004724.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1887437

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004722.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1887438

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004725.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1887439

                  Comment


                  • Purc
                    Purc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great! I love Tri Tip.

                  • Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love that attachment. Tri-tip looks perfectly cooked, solid performance my man!!

                  #13
                  Our Costco has started to stock the whole piece of Top Sirloin Cap again, but only in choice. They are selling choice Top Sirloin steaks for $12.99/lb. and the Caps are $8.99/lb. That's a great price.

                  Comment


                  • barelfly
                    barelfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I picked up two packs of two last week! Had one on Sunday and it was outstanding! That $8.99 can’t be beat!!!

                Announcement

                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                0
                Guest
                Guest
                500
                ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                7