Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt ends from a flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt ends from a flat

Buying a prime packer from Costco. Will use the point for burnt ends but would like more than the point will yield. Anyone have a good technique for burnt ends from the flat. Worried about them being too dry. Thanks in advance!

Have them soaking in some DEEP au jus.

Comment

Lake Rat ... Remember, most humans have NEVER had the pleasure of tasting the Caviar of BBQ... Burn't ends.

Unless your guests are connoisseur's of BBQ you have an uninformed crowd that has, no clue, what the texture of a burn't end is supposed to feel like.😆

I've smoked a brisket and made Burn't ends out of the whole packer before, to serve a finger food during cocktail hour before serving them dinner.

You might feel and taste the difference between the point and the flat but most people won't.

Comment

Whenever I do a party with brisket, folks demand burnt ends. What I'll usually do is smoke a single flat and an entire packer. I just cut straight down on the packer from the Point straight down. That usually separated the brisket in half. I then take the point and half the flat, cut it in chances, sauce, and put back in the KK for about an hour or so. The other half gets wrapped and coolered. Few people can really taste the difference and everyone is happy. The reason I use the portion directly under the point for burnt ends is that it is the juiciest part of what would be the flat.

Comment

Wow, I am honored to have three of the "heavy hitters" from the AR forum respond!! Thanks to all for your advice. I am tempted to separate the point from the flat to makimize the amount of bark. I may also forgo wrapping to keep the bark intact. I am smoking on a Kamado Joe so hopefully the moisture will remain without the wrap. Thanks again for your sharing your BBQ expertise.

Comment

Lake Rat ...

Hmmm... There aren't any "heavy hitters" in the Pit. There are MANY Pit members that have a really good understanding of the type of cooker they use. Others are incredible Chefs. We all share, pick each other's brains, to take the next step toward creating great tasting food. It's a great melting pot of incredibly talented people willing to help others.👌

All that's required is to ask a question... We're here to help.😎

Comment

• Darchie03
              Darchie03 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok heavy Qers then, we all love the help (& I need a lot of it, although the shrinks say there is no help for me)
              Dave

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Darchie03 ... Make your shrink some burn't ends, the Caviar of BBQ. He might change your diagnosis on the spot.😆

• Darchie03
              Darchie03 commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead, I doubt it he's pretty set on my condition LOL.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here