Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Beef Cheek Pastrami - The Draznnl Variation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Project Beef Cheek Pastrami - The Draznnl Variation

    I purchased 2 packages of beef cheeks from Wild Fork Foods at $5.98/lb. I received 6.12 lbs. of untrimmed cheeks. After trimming I was left with 4.25 lbs. of meat to cure. I used Meathead’s calculator to find it needed 8 days in the brine. Then I seasoned the meat with Meathead’s recipe and let it sit in the fridge for three days. Yesterday, I SVQ’d the pastrami. First, on the smoker until an internal temperature of 175F was reached. Then 4 hours in the sous vide at 190F. Sliced up the 2 lbs. of resulting cooked meat today and ate it for dinner.



    ​
    trimming the meat

    ​
    out of the cure and waiting to be seasoned

    ​
    cooked product
    ​
    Ìt’s all sliced, bagged, and on the scale.


    We found a lot of hard interior fat that hadn’t rendered out. With a little trimming, it was truly ready to eat on some kosher-style rye from Kaufman’s in Skokie with Koop’s stone ground mustard. Sorry, no plated pics.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	1864443

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1864442

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1864440

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	1864441
    Last edited by Draznnl; June 30, 2026, 08:10 PM.

    #2
    Photos aren't showing for me.

    Comment


    • Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      How about now?

    • RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I see 'em now.

    #3
    My takeaway is Kaufman in Skokie! 😍😍😍

    bravo! But you went 8 days on the cure?

    Comment


    • Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Kaufman's gets a stop every time I'm in Chicagoland and half a suitcase full of rye bread and bagels winds up in my luggage home.

      The calculator said 8 days. Who am I to ignore that?

    #4
    Great job! The yield from beef cheeks seems pretty low, but I'll bet they taste amazing.

    Comment


    • Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      They do, but I think this was a one time thing.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
0
Guest
Guest
500
["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
7