Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast - remove rib cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast - remove rib cap?

I'm Cooking my first rib roast this Sunday for my dad and some family for Father's Day. I bought a 10 pound boneless rib eye roast.

My question is: after reading Meathead's article about how the rib cap can get overcooked and its such a great piece of meat he suggests removing it. So what does everyone think? Do you guys normally remove the rib cap and cook the rib eye eye by itself? Or just cook it whole.

Other details: the 10 pound roast is already somewhat trimmed by the butcher. It didn't come with any bones but I have some beef rib bones frozen that I plan on using to make the gravy/stock in a dripping pan. I have to feed 8 people so I have way more than i need. I was considering slicing off a couple rib eyes steaks for freezing.

The cap. So far, I have always cooked it whole. I'm DYING to try cutting the cap off, rolling it together to look like a round steak, tie together with butcher string and cook separately. Think it will be GREAT!

Nothing wrong with slicing some off, dry brine, rub and freeze for later. Or cook it all and eat later, perhaps in salads, etc.

Comment

I leave it on. It is so freakin' good that I don't care if it is medium rare or well. Or raw.

If I cut it off I would wait until everyone went home and then eat it all myself.

Comment

I am one who likes to do the bone on rib roast. Have the butcher bone the roast and re-tie them on.

I take my roast and marinate it in a mixture of Maggi Seasoning and Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Equal parts. To that I add fresh ground black pepper and granulated garlic. (Not Garlic Salt) Bothe equal also.
        Say 1 cup olive oil, 1 cup Maggi Seasoning. 1 heaping tablespoon pepper and same of granulated garlic.
        Marinate for at least two hours ( not over night).
        Cook with a good meat thermometer and remove when you reach the desired temp. I chose to remove at 120 and tent in foil. Nice rare inside, med ends.
        I have cooked about a dozen on my Weber 22 inch kettle using indirect heat on both sides.
        The ribs are to die for. After I cut them off I shut down the grille and let them cook for a while longer.
        You may want to hide them from everyone else. Too Good.
        Have Fun

Comment

I ended up removing the rib cap and grilling it separate. Both the eye and the cap were amazing. Cooked the eye roast at 225-240 then sear at the end. Had an excellent crust. Then I grilled the rib cap over high heat at the end when i was searing the roast.

I can highly recommend this method. Removing the cap was not hard as it almost pulled away along the fat line, but then I spent a lot of time trimming the fat/silverskin under there. In hindsight I probably went a little too aggressive and could have left a little more fat on.

halfglass back ribs are great by themself, but I love me some crust on my rib roast. You aint getting no crust if you have those bones in the way. Also tenting with foil does nothing but soften the bark/crust.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep!

Yeah agree with a lot of this. Don't need to take it off - you'll still have killer meat pretty much perfectly medium-rare if you follow the process. But if you want to prepare the best possible roast you can, taking it off is helpful for uniformity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
            I leave it on. It is so freakin' good that I don't care if it is medium rare or well. Or raw.

If I cut it off I would wait until everyone went home and then eat it all myself.
            I have been known to trim SLC Ribs and save the pieces for me and no one else knows they ever existed, or eat a little bark from butts before pulling. I like how you think!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here