Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epicurious... How to cook a $130 per pound steak😜

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epicurious... How to cook a $130 per pound steak😜

They can do it their way but I would reverse sear that beautiful hunk of meat.👍

I will second the reverse sear action on this one.

Comment

I haven't seen a steak that I would pay $130 per lb for. A nice juicy cheeseburger will be just fine for me.
      Last edited by DWCowles; June 15, 2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        martybartram ... My son just had his 39th birthday and I'm not sure where he developed this love for really nice beef. It probably came from the fact that he has an almost limitless entertainment budget for wining and dining some world renown heart surgeons.🤔 He takes good care of Big Papa.👍

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead sounds like he has a job with great benefits! I guess I am closer to his age than my kids are...I send my Dad steel targets and beef so I guess I am doing ok too Hopefully my boys pick up on the example

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You just got to love em up and be tough on them to keep them on the right path... Years later they will show their love and appreciation for what you did for them to mold them into fine gentlemen.

I like a Pittsburgh rare, black and blue steak, but have found that I prefer SRF wagyu more to 135 internal. The intramuscular fat needs softening for me, which isn't happening at 110 or 125 internal.

Likely, I'd sous and sear or reverse sear.

Comment

I suppose I could afford to pay that for a steak, but I won't!!!! Can't imagine it really tastes that much better than one I can make with a ribeye cut from a 30 day dry aged boneless ribeye that I can do myself for way less than 1/10 that price. Maybe the reason I could afford to buy a steak like that, is because I never would... and yes DWCowles, of all the stuff I grill/smoke, my venison cheeseburgers are still my #1 request, even from some very discriminating palates.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Wise man grasshopper. It's not about how much you make. It's about how much money you keep.👍

I found a Butcher doing Videos on youtube. He was showing the difference between the 5 different grades of meat. (utility, Select, Choice,Prime, &Wagyu) he had 5 NY Strips each from one of the grades (i had never seen a comparison before it was interesting to see) but when he got to the end and talked about the Wagyu. he said that The Japanese only eat thin pieces of the meat at any given time. The meat is so rich it doesn't take much to fill full. but us Americans always try to cut it into a steak and eat! he said bad idea you will waste most of it. His finding not mine I cant afford the meat lol but made since to me!
        here is the link if you would like to watch it.
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 15, 2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to watch this twice. Lots of information! Thank you.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Jibes with my experience with Wagyu. I might try the next SRF sale with thin steaks. You could get a lot of thin steaks from a roast.

Thanks for the link GadjetGriller that was interesting. I'd never heard of utility grade before. Here's another video by the same guy about the perfect hamburger blend and how he grinds it. He sells 75,000 hamburger patties a day to high end restaurants. He is Da Man when it comes to hamburgers!👌

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Breadhead I have not watched the video yet but have been thinking about grinding my own hamburger (with brisket as one of the ingredients) will watch his video and see how he does it.

I got to try those hamburgers from Pat LaFrieda so I just order 2 packages. Thanks Breadhead & GadjetGriller
        Last edited by DWCowles; June 16, 2016, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          👍... Let us know how those burgers turn out. Take pictures.😋

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here