Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with brisket and the Smokenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with brisket and the Smokenator

I've got a small piece of flat -- only about 2+ lbs -- out on the webber with a smokenator. After it was on for about 3.5 hours, it got up to 155' internal and I wrapped it in foil and put it back on the grill. After about 90 minutes it was registering 185' internal and I decided to take the foil off to slow it down and firm up the bark. Now, an hour later, the internal temp has dropped from 185' back to 155'. I've never seen that before and I'm not sure how to go from here. I've confirmed the internal with two thermometers and I'm sure it is accurate. Anybody have any suggestions?

Once enough moisture makes it to the surface to start the evaporative cooling process it will do that again if given the opportunity. It's better to go over higher heat such as actual grilling after you've wrapped rather than just leaving it to cook indirectly.

Comment

Thanks, Jerod. Live and learn. This is my first attempt at brisket after doing a few pork butts and slabs of ribs. I think I'll probably wind up writing this one off as a learning experience. Right now I've got it back in foil and in the oven at 250' to finish it up. Internal temp is still registering at about 164'. I figure I'll let it go to 195-200', let it sit in a faux cambraux for an hour or so and see what I've got. The dog may be the winner here.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, we ain't lettin' that happen. Start checking for probe tenderness in the thickest part of the flat when it hits 195. Don't go higher than 205. You can bark up better after that, or just let it chill and reheat later if too late to eat. Brisket does great reheated.

I did that once and the same thing happened. I was dismayed as the temp slowly crawled backward all of the way back to the stall temp.

Next time I recommend making sure you are satisfied with your bark before wrapping and once you wrap keep it wrapped until after cambro when it's time to carve/shred.

Comment

Yeah, I think my biggest mistake was in going back and forth from unwrapped to wrapped and back. I wound up finishing it in the oven, getting it up to 201'. Sitting now in a cambro where it will be for the next hour or two. The plan is to slice it and see how it is. The dog and I are hoping for different outcomes.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't wrap until I got plenty bark. Adds to the cooking time but well worth it.

I'd love to be your dog right about now. Success or failure, the pooch will love it!

Comment

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
          I'd love to be your dog right about now. Success or failure, the pooch will love it!
          Yeah, I sometimes think he's got it better than any of us!

Comment

OK, Post script. Brisket was . . . edible. Not ruined, not great. Thanks to all who commented here. I'll learn from this and the next one will be better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here