Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime brisket on the 26" kettle & Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime brisket on the 26" kettle & Slow 'N Sear

Shout out to Powersmoke_80 for hooking me up with a killer brisket at a killer price. 15.4lb Prime brisket, wet aged 39 days (if my math is correct). Acquired for $2.69/lb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	179156

Trimmed up, including most of the fat between the point & flat, and dry brined Thursday evening.

Name:	brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	231
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	179157

Liberal coating of Big Bad Beef Rub as the kettle is heating up. This is the fat cap side.

Name:	2brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	229
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	179158

On the kettle with a few post oak & cherry chunks.

I put it on when the kettle was up to 180. I'll slowly bring it up to 230ish over an hour or two. Trying to get a deeper smoke ring. Why? Because. It's an experiment.

Name:	3brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	179159

Name:	4brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	228
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	179160

Not the best picture, but I snapped this real quick as I was wrapping it, at about the 8.5hr mark (3:30pm). Flat hit 190 and point 176 by this time. Some scuffs in the bark from flipping, but hey who cares this is no competition.

Name:	6brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	230
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	179340

I'll update this post later on as I get more pics....
    Last edited by Huskee; June 11, 2016, 08:31 AM.

Mmmm, that's going to be good!

Comment

HOOOWEEEEE

Kudos to Powersmoke_80 !!!

Huskee , I put my meat on at about 190 as long as my smoke is pretty light. Works well. Looks like you are going to have one heckofa day!! Looking forward to more pics!

Comment

I'm looking forward to the full report, and, of course, PICTURES.

Edit to add: I'm trying to figure what size brisket I can fit on my 22.5" Weber. Yours looks fairly big. Do you think it would fit on the 22.5 incher?

Comment

Favorite bit so far: "Why? Because it's an experiment."

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. I was just picturing someone saying 'Why do you want a deep smoke ring, you can't taste it'

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe you perceive a texture difference. Who am I to judge. Excelsior! Science!

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          I'm looking forward to the full report, and, of course, PICTURES.

Edit to add: I'm trying to figure what size brisket I can fit on my 22.5" Weber. Yours looks fairly big. Do you think it would fit on the 22.5 incher?
          Ron I fit a 14lb'er on my 22" last summer, pic below. There was 1" - 1.5" at the narrowest point between the meat & kettle wall, and much more at the wider point as you can see. I'd suggest sticking to a packer in the 12-14lb range and you'll be fine on your 22". Thsi cook turned out beautifully, it was my best to date. (Hopefully today's at least ties it).

Name:	IMAG7927.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	179168

Comment

Looking good! how much trim came off that dude?

Comment

Originally posted by Powersmoke_80 View Post
              Looking good! how much trim came off that dude?
              Not much actually, it was very impressive. It might look like a lot but it was less than 5lbs, I'd guess 3, maybe 4lbs max. To me that's good based on what I read form some others' experiences.

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	179209

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I have had some pretty heavy on fat between the point and flat.
                I had to teach my sister (in a delicate fashion as not to screw up my source )how to make sure they are somewhat flexible when cold and not to thin on the flat end.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Powersmoke_80 Most of the fat on this one was between the flat & point. I wasn't too aggressive trimming the main fat cap, there may be 1/4" and there may be a pinch more left. Your sister did very well!

Meat bliss! !

Comment

Huskee add that to the grind pile. I LOVE LOVE brisket fat in my burger grind. That looks like a helluva cook!

Comment

Looks killer! Great price too

Comment

Prime, way to go. That guy is going to be sick!

Comment

If I ever find a Prime full packer in this town I am going to make a replica of it and hang it on the wall.

"Where'd you find that one?"

"Wal-Mart, no joke, was there for bleach and toilet paper, walked out with that dude at $1.97/lb."

Comment

Manohman, did you ever hit the brisket jackpot, Huskee , getting a prime brisket at that price. It's available as a flat only, in my neck of the woods, for about $9 a pound. This is my boo-hoo face: .

It's good to see you're treating it with TLC, putting it on that kettle/SnS combo. I bet it's going to be grrrreat. Enjoy the cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's been my only option too- flats at $9 or SRF splurge pricing. If it weren't for Powersmoke_80 I'd be in the same boat still. No Costcos in your area? I never even knew there were any in MI.

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Closest Cosco stores are 2.5 hours away. Oh the joys of rural mountain living.

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same here, except for the mountains.

The stall....

Here's ~11:40am (5.5hrs in). Red is point (top) and flat (bottom) Copper is cooker.

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	179294

And here's about 1.5hrs later (Notice the drop in meat temp over that hour & a half) ...and notice the beverage has changed too

Name:	5brisket6-11-16.PNG
Views:	226
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	179295

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                          Jerod Broussard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mucho cooling, the "system" really is metastable.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here