Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Round Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Round Roast

I'm planning on smoking an 8lb top round roast this weekend. Just picked it up at butcher and it's not nearly as "round" as i had expected. It's shaped more like a briscuit in that its long and "flatter" than expected. I'd say it's about 4 inches thick. Any advice on cooking times? Anyone smoked one before with a solid recipe?

Dry brine 24 hours, BBBR and cooked at about 350 until IT reached 110, then moved it over for a little roll on the direct side of the grill. That's duck breast in front, center cut round roast in back.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1417.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	177595

Comment

Top Round is very lean, so it's best taken to the usual medium rare or else you risk it drying out. If you want to 'smoke' it, I recommend a nice reverse sear. Start low at about 200ish then, say your target is 135 for med-rare, once it gets to 120-125 begin searing it all over. Pull it off at 130-132 to avoid it rising above 135 (or adjust for whatever your target will be). Carryover cooking on a reverse seared roast is like stopping a train, start early. A board sauce is absolutely killer on roasts like this, whether lamb, beef, venison.

I also agree with Marty above, dry brine it as long as you can with 1/2tsp Kosher salt/lb, or ~1/4tsp table salt/lb, then Big Bad Beef Rub right before cooking.

Comment

• mckay791
        mckay791 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I'm absolutely going to dry brine over night. I'll let the thermometer tell me when it's time to take it off, but do you have a best guess at total cook time on the smoker figuring smoking temp of 200-210?

mckay791 It depends on the roast's thickness, which is usually related to its general size/weight but not always. But I would estimate an average of 1.5 to 2hrs on the long side of things.

Comment

I did one treated it just like a Brisket. put some Rub on it then smoked it until 130 degrees internal. I made a video of it if you want to see how it turned out.

Comment

mckay791, I Agree With All the Advice Given So Far! You might be able to pound the roast into a more round shape and Tie it with Butcher String! You will still be able to Dry Brine and Rub it! You might want to consider injecting it?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            Top Round is very lean, so it's best taken to the usual medium rare or else you risk it drying out. If you want to 'smoke' it, I recommend a nice reverse sear. Start low at about 200ish then, say your target is 135 for med-rare, once it gets to 120-125 begin searing it all over. Pull it off at 130-132 to avoid it rising above 135 (or adjust for whatever your target will be). Carryover cooking on a reverse seared roast is like stopping a train, start early. A board sauce is absolutely killer on roasts like this, whether lamb, beef, venison.

I also agree with Marty above, dry brine it as long as you can with 1/2tsp Kosher salt/lb, or ~1/4tsp table salt/lb, then Big Bad Beef Rub right before cooking.
            This how we do it for Baltimore Pit Beef sammies. Very tasty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here