Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right recipe for cross rib roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right recipe for cross rib roast

I found this thread (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-%F0%9F%A4%94) talking about a misadventure with cross rib and as I have one right now (2.4 lb) I am trying to decide what recipe I should follow: Cook it like a chukee or cook it like a standard roast? Or any other ideas?
    Last edited by Superskierpat; June 7, 2016, 11:25 AM.

Here are pictures of the roast.

Comment

Hmmm, quite a few different things going on there.

Comment

Im thinking of using mrs. O'Leary's cow crust and cook it about two hours until it reaches 120 then sear it 20 minutes. I'm only afraid it will be too tough.. Maybe I should cook it a few more hours ? (Then I'm afraid it will be too dry)

Comment

Comment

You feeling like a guinea pig yet? They can't synthesize their own ascorbic acid either, so no worries if you do.

Comment

I think your answer is in that topic to which you linked us. Breadhead is a very savvy chef/pitmaster, and you can trust his findings. Sounds like the low and slow temps he used, even with the sous vide pretreatment, couldn't save that meat. It doesn't sound like it slices nicely or pulls well when taken to 200 degrees.

Maybe, in the interests of science (I think the term Jerod Broussard used was guinea pig, so you get my drift), slice into steaks and reverse sear?

Gosh, I really don't know what I'd do if I was in your shoes. Someone on that other topic suggested grinding it into hamburger. That might work if you add some bacon into the grinder along with it.

Kathryn

P.S. Let us know what you end up doing with that cut, Superskierpat . Good luck!
              Last edited by fzxdoc; June 8, 2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Completely forgot to answer this topic! It ended up doing it like a classic roast, it was a little dry, but with a proper sauce and reaaally finely cut slices, it didnt turn out that bad.

Though I would ultimately not recommend the cut.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here