Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veal topside with a green/red pepper rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veal topside with a green/red pepper rub

Here's a rub that worked really well. I crushed red and green peppers in a mortar, mixed it with salt and onion powder, and rubbed a veal topside roast with it. I think it is called veal topside, it is the inside thigh of a calf anyway. The flavor was really good, where you could clearly taste the pepper(s), but it wasn't hot or spicy. Just right. It works just as well (of course) with beef. I served it with a classic white wine sauce which balanced the pepper rub just perfectly.

Rub

3-3.5 lbs veal topside, boneless
    1 tbsp red pepper
    1 tbsp green pepper
    0.5 tbsp onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp dijon mustard

Brush the meat with a thin layer of mustard, the apply the spice mix. Let it rest for a couple of hours in the fridge, then place it on the grill. I cooked it at 240° F until the inner temp was exactly 140° F. It took 2 hours. Then I let the meat rest in a faux cambro for 40 minutes. It was truly excellent. Got a nice smoke ring and it was very moist and tender.

The veal with rub applied

Click image for larger version

Name:	veal_topside_rub.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	177196

The final product

Name:	veal_topside.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	177197

The plate, not my best presentation by far, but I was hungry :-)

Name:	veal_topside_plate.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	177195

Presentation looks fine to me, I might add another slice of meat and 2 more slices of 'mater at least for myself.

Comment

Presentation? I'm sure it presented itself to your fork very well. Looks great, Henrik!

Comment

It looks beautiful to me! Nicely done.

-Dave

Comment

As soon as I saw the pictures my stomach started making digestive sounds.

Comment

Thats some kind of wonderful looking food and an awesome money shot!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here