Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Wellingiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Wellingiton

Filets were dry brined for 2-3 hours and also added cracked peppercorns. Kathy was in charge of the shallots, mushrooms and foie gras.
    I cooked them on the big green egg indirect at around 425, with one chunk pecan wood. Pulled out around 130-135F. Next time I will sear the filets before they go into the pastry and cook at lower temp to get more even cooking. You can see the grey on outside and red on inside. When I reverse sear filets it never looks like that. Outside of my nitpicking these things turned out amazingly well one of our best meals on the egg.

Last edited by ImmersionFD; June 6, 2016, 11:18 AM.

Wow, looks scrumptious!

Comment

On the job, I've made hundreds of Wellingtons, and your findings are correct. It seems better to put a sear on the filet before wrapping in puff pastry. The steak should be cooled a bit before wrapping as well. 350-375 will cook your pastry to its peak of puffy goodness. The more moderate temps will also allow you to use an egg wash(1 egg, 2tblsp. water) to be brushed on for a lovely and crispy shell. The egg wash also allows you to garnish the pastry shell with stuff like shredded hard cheese(parmesan, asiago, etc.), which brings up the wow factor. Fresh herbs can also be used in the garnishee procedure. Combining all the above will help you to develop your own unique house flavors and sensibilities.

Good job!

Comment

• ImmersionFD
        ImmersionFD commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the input, looking forward to making these adjustments!

• ImmersionFD
        ImmersionFD commented
        Editing a comment
        after talking to kathy she said she brushed butter on pastry and I could tell a difference normally we do the egg was but I think we like the butter better , definetly was crispy buttery crust. She loved the idea of hard cheese looking forward to doing it again. Thanks for advice!

Beautiful!! I've made puff pastry ready for wellington but I always end up making pies with it. LOL, I'm a pie junkie

Comment

Beef Wellington is a classic, this looks really good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here