Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Talk Probe Tender on Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets Talk Probe Tender on Brisket

I know that the feel of this will be a little different for everyone but how would yall describe the feel of "probe" tender while cooking a brisket? Have any of you guys ever had one that felt right but still cam out over or under cooked?

Personally I don't do enough briskets to not look at temp and only rely on 'probe tender', but they say it's "like buttah". Obviously it's not literally as fluid as butter, unless you're in a melted fat band or something. But I think you'll know when it slides in w/o a normal meaty resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Personally I don't do enough briskets to not look at temp and only rely on 'probe tender', but they say it's "like buttah". Obviously it's not literally as fluid as butter, unless you're in a melted fat band or something. But I think you'll know when it slides in w/o a normal meaty resistance.
      Even going by internal temp. Have you ever had one still come out over or under cooked ever after you thought it was done?

Comment

Brisket sometimes will "seize" and firm up. I think this may be the result of holding too long or too fast a temp drop, but I don't know for sure. But I have had to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormy View Post

Even going by internal temp. Have you ever had one still come out over or under cooked ever after you thought it was done?
          Yes. Briskets are easy to cook (get grill to temp, add meat, cook meat to temp, remove meat from grill) but HARD to repeatedly get perfect. My last brisket was PERRRRfect. The one before that, dry and a tad crumbly. Next Saturday I'm cooking a Prime brisket, we'll see how that one comes out. As you see above, even the mega pros like Candy have issues occasionally.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the kudo, Huskee!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ Well deserved, your vast experience is a force here in The Pit!

They are tricky indeed. the last one I cooked for about 4 hours, wrapped in BP and it "Probed" tender about 2 hrs after that. Let it rest on the counter for 2 hrs until it reached about 160 and sliced and it was dry......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here