Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought some trimmed brisket points...problems with smoke retention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought some trimmed brisket points...problems with smoke retention.

Part of the journey with my Traeger has been less than enjoyable. I have a BGE that smokes perfectly IMHO. Here is the story. I bought some trimmed points (3 @ about 5 lbs each) that were beautifully marbled but heavily trimmed. The BGE did not have enough room so I decided to use the Traeger. I knew the smoke wold be light so I bought a Amazentube to add to the smoke. Pre-salted for 24 hours, rub on for 6 hours. I put the Traeger on 180 for 3 hours then up to 225. Because of the heavy marbling I let it go through the stall without crutching. No smoke flavor at all hardly. The only thing that would saved me was making burnt ends out of ALL of it. So I cubed it and put it back on, and the smoke took.(that went over well, I did not get to bring any back home) BUT, WHERE DID I GO WRONG? i am thinking it has to do with the heavy trimming that dried out the surface too fast and there wa not enough moisture to capture the smoke. I never had any issue with the BGE, but I never had a heavily trimmed point either. I have 2 more heavily trimmed points in the fridge.

1. Any thoughts ?
    2. Has any one used duck fat instead of olive oil on briskets? I know the BBBR is water soluble
    3. Will frequent misting help, when will I be in danger of over misting and washing off the smoke?
    4. How would grated brisket fat sprinkled on the brisket points to mimic the cut off fat layer work.

THANKS!!!

I wouldn't think trimming has anything to do with smoke flavor. If anything, bare meat creates a better bark than fat cap...but we like fat cap on briskets to give each slice its flavor, like a strip of bacon. Was the meat bone dry and room temp when you placed it on the smoker? Check this article out: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_of_wood.html and notice roughly halfway down the article, where the 3 cotton pads and the 3 beer cans are. That paragraph helps explain how smoke flavor and meat temp/wetness comes into play.

Spritzing will help your smoke flavor, but go lightly, like you said it will eventually risk rinsing off your rub...not so much the smoke.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here