Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Method For Cooking Top Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Method For Cooking Top Blade

Hey Guys, i have a 6lb top blade and want to know the best method for cooking. I personally want to low and slow and pull but not sure if thats the best method.

Thanks in advance, Smoke on!

Absolutely, it's chuck! Chuck is far & away the best for pulled beef. I like to use regular ol' chuck roasts, if they're cut thick that is, but my favorite is the flat iron roast or sometimes labeled 'petite roast' (all part of the chuck). Treat it as you would a pork butt. Low & slow at 225-250 indirectly, up to an IT of 203-208. Hold it there once it gets to that temp for about an hour, then faux cambro it for an hour or two. Personally I like to wrap mine when the IT gets to ~175-180 (after the stall), to allow for a good bark to be built up and to save some cook time to the target IT. Then it's wrapped & ready for the faux cambro hold. Here's a fairly detailed pulled beef recipe at ABCbarbecue.com which you can use regardless of which cooker you're using.

On that note, what cooker are you using?

Oh, and Welcome to The Pit! When you get a minute, we'd love to read an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel.

Comment

• Baje
      Baje commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks alot, quite looking forward to it actually! I have a 18.5 WSM but this particular cut will be cooked on a friend's homebuilt smoker. Will try to remember to post a pic or 2 of it.

+1 on what Huskee just said! I did a couple of chuckies for pulled beef, and it is awesome! Beats pulled pork in my humble opinion.

Comment

Next time, try this...

Indoor cook, but blade steak is the choice cut...

Homemade Beef Enchiladas

Welcome Aboard! -- Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	HM_Beef_Enchiladas.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	174759
      Click image for larger version

Name:	HM_Enchiladas_Done.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	174760

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm on my docs office. This pic started my stomach rumbling. My lobby neighbor just gave me a funny look

• Baje
        Baje commented
        Editing a comment
        Will def give it a try

Pulled beef is amazing. I like to fry it the next day and make beef carnitas. Bell peppers, onions and some cilantro. Flavor Town.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! Will report on my findings

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pictures of your cook are required. :-)

Well Guys, sorry for taking to take so long to get back but the beef came out AWESOME! Didnt actually get it to pulled status as we were running short of daylight, and sobriety.........Sliced around 190 and it was killer. Friend that owns the pit says it was the best thing ever to come off of it. Attached some pics of before and during (no after as i said sobriety was a big issue at the time), it had about a 1 1/2" Smoke ring and was very very juicy! Thanks for all the input as ill definately be doing it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Next time, try this...

Indoor cook, but blade steak is the choice cut...

Homemade Beef Enchiladas
          Here's a link to the post that has the recipe. You can do the same thing for chicken with BNLS / SKNLS Thighs, which give better flavor than Breasts. Regardless, they're great too! --Ed

Happy New Year Everyone! Once you do this, you'll never go back to canned stuff! ( or restaurant ) Here's the recipe... temp_15978_1452465082314_843 I've

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here