Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first brisket

About 60 minutes ago I threw my first brisket on the Camp Chef pellet grill. I cut it into two pieces. One being the portion that is mostly the same thickness and then the end which is quite a bit thicker. I injected it and rubbed it. Temp probe inserted in the thin part. After that one is done I'll move the probe to the thick portion that is left. I'm planning to skip the crutch and cook it till done then cambro the thin part and likely the thick end when it gets done. I have no idea if I am going to come out ok or not but heck - It's only a 10lb cryovaced $40 piece of schooling. I have blown more on less.

YOU DA MAN! Way to go for it MJ! Love the approach. Looking forward to pic!

Comment

Jon,

Have you done one before? Any tips? I cannot believe it has taken me 46 years to get around to doing one.

Comment

MJ, I feel you have a solid plan and should stick to it. Personally I never crutch. I don't know how too.

I also feel that the best way is to just do what you feel. We all get great advice from each other but there is nothing like making a plan and seeing it thru.

IMHO it is the best way to learn your cooker and how far you can take it.

I think "I have blown more on less" should be on a tee shirt! I love that!
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 13, 2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I crutch if I have the bark I want and I still have a way to go until probe tender.

I prefer to put in pan, and cover that with foil. Just give the brisket a moist environment to enjoy.

Comment

i agree with Jerod. I don't so much crutch as put it an aluminum pan covered with foil and then take it to the final temp. I usually cut about an inch wide strip off the sides at that point and cube it up and put them in the pan along with some butter and extra seasoning for burnt ends.

Comment

I guess I should add that due to the volume of briskets I cook, I don't get to do that often. Butcher paper and foil have served me well, thank goodness.

Comment

At 10:55 I see I am at the stall 152 degrees on the flat piece. So we'll stick with 225 and run it till this portion is done. I used my misto to give it a little olice oil spritz an hour or two ago. It has a very nice look to it at this point.

Comment

~~"I have blown more on less. "

That is a true statement in itself, I could retire today if I was able to retrieve all the hair brained, impulse buy, drunk induced purchases I've made over the years.

I personally never crutch brisket; did it once and thought it ruined my bark, I do however crutch my pork shoulders, picnics, and butts.

Comment

• morganjim
                    morganjim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My Camp Chef pellet grill was alcohol induced. Must have been good beer that day.

I crutch brisket once it stalls. I still have plenty good enough bark for my standards. The slices are so thin that bark to me is less important than overall tenderness and flavor. I like bark a bit more on pork butts since it's chunky when pulled. This is purely me and my preferences I'm sharing. No hate mail from Jerod.

Comment

Up to 154 degrees. I guess the stall was a short one or is a 2 degree increase not a big deal? I'll check it in 2 hours and see where I am.

Comment

You can still be in the stall upwards of the 160s. It may rise some but only incrementally. Not crutching a flat (the thinner chunk you speak of) MAY lead to a drier brisket, just FYI. But you only know once you try it.

Comment

I'm aware and ready for it. If that happens then it will be chopped and used for BBQ sandwiches. I'm also smoking it at about 200 degrees with upward swings to 225 so who knows. Time will tell. I DO wish the really thin end was ready. I'd cut that off and snack while the rest cooks.

Comment

Sounds like you have a great plan! If it's at 130+ you can eat it, just like a medium roast.... Spot check it and slice off a hunk.

Comment

OMG. It is at 154 and I did cut off some of the thinnest end. I'm afraid of it. It's gotta be some of the best food I have eaten. I can only hope it gets more tender with an increasing internal temp. This is just heaven or so I think at the moment. I really want to go cut off even more.

Now I'll never get to sleep!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here