Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket tough to find this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket tough to find this weekend.

What a better way to enjoy the Holiday weekend than with friends and Good food! Although I had a hard time finding good brisket this weekend. Costco is usually my go to for Prime brisket but that's becoming harder to find. Sure I can get it at most mega marts, but the grade is only choice, and seriously the quality has always been suspect to me. The butcher at Costco informed me that they recently changed distributors for their meat. As a result, the larger cryovacs are harder to come by.

I suspect quality might have come down a bit as well. I bought 2 whole packers, one actually was well shaped and trimmed to begin....the others was a hunk of something that fell off a drunk beast, and was trimmed up by somebody just as drunk. It was almost as if the Point had already slid off of the Flat and they were side by side. ON the bright side...the marbling was wonderful throughout!

These are the 1st 2 packers I have ever bought that really almost look and feel like just a HOF. I hope this is just a one off...or just bad luck of the draw. I did the best I could trimming...You can see the demon child on the right in the pic. Here's hoping low and slow will make this a tasty hunk of whatever its supposed to be. :-)

I hope everybody has a safe and fun holiday weekend!

All I was able to find we're select grade briskets. You're right, quality is down.

Here's to a great cook and even better memories with family and friends!

Comment

Ours is up a notch. Bin full of Choice for $1.64/lb.

The amount cattle put on feed in April was up A LOT.

Comment

In my area (Northern Virginia), packers are hard to come by at all. Costco here sells only flats and they look at you funny when you ring the bell and ask for a full packer. Grocery store chains sell only flats as well, if that. Our local butcher has packers, but sells them at a ridiculous price because he can. My best source for BBQ cuts in general has turned out to be local international market. This is the only place I've found that sells packers (choice grade) and beef plate ribs. Purchased the only two packers they had yesterday. Not the best looking, but the only choice (pun intended).

Comment

• AZGrowlerguy
          AZGrowlerguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah we have a couple of local quality butchers...but they sell for a ridiculous price...and its choice or Select grade.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          The Costco butcher in Midlothian VA sez they don't stock full packers because they don't sell enough here. However, if I want a whole case, he can fix me up...

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Have tried several Costco's around NOVA - same everywhere. Fresh World in Springfield is the only place I've routinely had success.

The Costco here in New Orleans still has prime full packer briskets and less than $3 a pound. Seems strange to me as I am the only person among our circle of friends and family that ever smokes brisket (i.e. not much bbq going on here, still lots of good food, just not bbq).

Comment

I couldn't find packers near me in NEPA for ever. Then, a few months ago, I found a couple of selects at a Wally World about 30 miles away. Then, just last week, I took my usual look while in my local Wally and they had 1 or 2 choice in cryo for just $2.29/lb. I don't have room in the freezer, though because I still have the select I bought when I thought I was being struck by lightning and might never see one again.

Comment

Same here in Texas. Local Costco only carries Prime full packers. At least a half dozen on display every time that I can remember looking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here